Chapter 53

Mateo

Mateo

When I'm about to make my way downstairs to meet my uncle and dad, I'm stopped in my path when I see a gorgeous girl looking at herself in the mirror.

The door was left open, so I lean on the door frame and watch as Kelani tries tugging her dress down, and pats over her stomach. She tries straightening her posture, but then drops her shoulders with a sigh as if she didn't like something about that stance.

The sage dress hugs her curves beautifully, and there's enough skin showing that I would assume she'd be comfortable with, but it doesn't seem so. She sighs, scoffs, grunts and groans as she turns different angles to look at herself in the mirror.

When she starts fixing up her hair, she pulls it all over one shoulder and I see that unique and pretty birthmark of hers that trails down her back from the base of her neck like a snake. It's light and thin, but noticeable on her medium toned, honey skin.

The rest of the mark is covered by the dress, I assume the cut is low enough for her to want to cover the scars with her hair, because she throws the thick cuts back, and just like that, the scars are hidden. Not gone, but hidden. It kills me that she has those scars to always remind her of her trauma, to stop her from being able to admire her own body the way I do.

Her eyes look saddened in the reflection, and I don't think she's notices me behind her at her door yet, so I clear my throat. She spins, and there she stands so perfect. Everything about her, is perfect. And all I can say is "wow".

My heart starts thudding against my chest when she smiles, but then she drops her head and her pretty emerald eyes are out of view. She tries to hide a frown, but I catch it. "What's the matter?" I ask, stepping toward her.

She says it's nothing but her weak eyes say otherwise. I shake my head and step closer to her, so I'm right infront of her and have to lower my gaze to see her face. Not believing her act, I ask again, and she now lifts her head and eyes to see me.

She tries talking, explaining herself, but she struggles. I know she has anxiety, and it creeps up on her at most times, I could see from her frustration that this is one of those times. I get agitated like that when I get confused, so I could understand that she just needs to calm.

I cup my hand over her cheek, hoping it has some sort of effect. "It's okay. Even if it doesn't make sense, darling. Say what you need" I assure, nodding my head and telling her to take a breath. Her lips quiver, then she closes her eyes and my fucking god she's so beautiful.

Then she rests her head into my hand and a smile creeps on my face, I scan every feature of her while I can. And when she exhaled a breath I know she's about to open her eyes, so I blink away from her collar bones and cleavage and dart my eyes back to her face.

Fucken weirdo I am.

I nod again, and she starts to speak. "I just feel... gross." She says in a quiet tone.