Chapter 42

Mateo

Mateo

I don't usually wake up this early. 6:40am. Unless I have an assignment. After leaving Kelani I went straight to bed, it was still late though. I only got about three to four hours of sleep, but I'm still finding myself putting on my hood after washing my face and cleaning my teeth, and make my way downstairs.

Dads out taking care of some errands for the business, everyone else would be asleep including Sam and his family. Hopefully. I'm not looking to be faced with Kelanis' mother alone.

She despises me. And she detests the fact that Kelani is allowing me around her again.

I grab a banana from the fruit bowl on the kitchen bench, that mum always changes. One day there'd be grapes and oranges, another there'd be strawberries and peaches, and today there's bananas and passion fruits. Before mum and I moved back in with dad in the mansion, his fridge was always empty and so was the pantry. Now mum makes sure everything is fully stalked. Just like how it used to be before they got divorced and mum and I had to live with that scumbag Dylan and his demonic son.

The back door that opens outside, toward the west wing creaks for a second as I open it. The sky is grey and the birds are singing during the early morning.

I enter the west manor where Kelani rests. My slippers tap along the tiled floor on the way to the living room. There's a loud leaf blowing snore, one of her guards are sleeping on the couch. He's shirtless, revealing all his body art and his sculpted physique.

I huff and grab the decorative throw on top of the backing of the couch Tommy sleeps on, and throw it messily over him to cover his naked torso.

He would be the first thing Kelani would wake up to see when she leaves her room.

I suck my teeth and pull the pillow from beneath Tommy's head, it to drops over the edge of the couch and Tommy sits up quickly with a startled growling inhale.

He sees me and rubs his eyes "something wrong? Is miss okay?". I huff and throw the pillow into his chest and tell him to put on a shirt as I make way toward the bedroom.

The door is not closed all the way. I could've sworn I closed it properly when I left last night. I knock and push open the door without thinking when I don't hear a response, and stick my head inside, looking over to the bed expecting to see Kelani resting peacefully in bed.

Except she's not there, and a sudden bad feeling bubbles up my chest as I step inside, not seeing any sight of her. And I'm about to go out to Tommy and break his neck until I turn to the left of the room, hearing the bathroom door Click open.

Kelani steps out using crutches, with a towel wrapping her hair and another just barely wrapped around her breasts, covering them and down to her thighs.

My eyes widen and so do Kelanis when she notices me.

"Fuck-" I blurt as I turn my back to her and face the door behind me, I realise it's still open and shut it infront of me.