Chapter 7

Mateo

As soon as I get home, I've finally been able to start my assignment for economics. I despise economics, i either fail miserably or only just pass.

After 5 long fucking hours, I'm almost done, there was three parts to complete, I'm up to the final part. It's the hardest and longest one.

I'm stuck trying to complete the assignment, because of all the questions about Alaiyah and Kelani that have been weighing on my mind.

I throw my pen in frustration and burry my head in my hands, letting out a long breath, trying to make sense of my thoughts.

The only time I would see Alaiyah was when she came over to the house to chill with Justin.

Sometimes I look back and wonder how she fell in love with such an asshole, but then I remember how Justin was when I first met him 5 years ago , in 2017, when me and mum moved in with him and his dad.

He was chill, and funny, him being 2 years older than me made me see him like an older brother. That lasted only a couple months when i saw how he was with Alaiyah.

They were together for two years since 2016, until they suddenly broke up in 2018. Alaiyah stopped coming over. I met her in late 2017, a couple months after I first moved in.

Now, Justin's dad, Dylan, was no where near fucked up as he is now. Or maybe he was he just hid that side of him infront of my mum. Just like how Justin hid it from Alaiyah.

Dylan and my mum have been together for 6 years now, since 2016, and for the first 2 years they seemed genuinely happy together, with no issues.

Until Dylan slowly started developed this gambling addiction. And over the years the addiction worsened, causing him to spiral. Mum would tell him that she didn't want him gambling anymore because he was getting out of control, and it caused him to react in violent ways.

He'd break dishes, punch holes through walls and doors, and just have random outbursts on all of us.

Even before his dad started spiralling, Justin showed his true colours that he had hidden when we first met. He never helped my mum when his dad got in her face, he'd just claim that she deserved it for trying to "control him".

When I tried going to him to talk about our parents, he just laughed in my face and called me weak for being worried about the issue. I was acomfort deprived 17 year old, and for a second I thought I had an older brother I can talk to.

He's a piece of shit, always has been. He's a manipulative bastard, who made Alaiyah fall in love with him and treated her the same way his dad treats my mum today.

Mum eventually fell out of love with him, but she's too scared to leave him. I keep telling her that we can get away together, but she'd complain about money and that we wouldn't be able to hide from Dylan.

She's always been against borrowing money from anyone, so when I'd suggest we'd ask dad for some money she'd immediately shut it down and not even consider it.

So I started working for dad, and saving up my own money so I can get mum away from Dylan safely, and she wouldn't feel like she owed anyone.

Back when Alaiyah was still here, she made herself familiar with my mum whenever she'd come over. Mum loved her, she loved how she looked out for me as if I was actually her little brother.

It was nice having an older sister for a while, having that comfort that I felt was missing. I got attached, and she disappeared.

And I still don't 100% know why. I know that she had relationship issues with Justin, but that's it, and I know for a fact she's stronger than to just give up because of a relationship. I know she was.