Quality Time

Y/N POV

When we got to the school Scarlett did her normal job of going up the stairs to get Rose. Normally Rose seemed so happy to go with Scar but today she was dragging her feet and pouting as Scarlett tried to keep a smile plastered across her face. I tapped my fingers against the steering wheel as I watched their lack of interaction. I'd almost been able to forget about what happened last night but seeing this brought it all back.

The back door opened and Rose sat down with her arms crossed and she stared out the window. Scarlett got into the passenger seat and glanced at me before looking down at her hands. "How was school, Rose?" I ask and her head jerks to the front. 

"Mama?" She asks quickly and she unbuckles her seatbelt. I widen my eyes when she crawls over the seats to get into my lap so I slowly move the steering wheel backward. 

"Hi." I hold her close and I glance at Scarlett who has her eyes pointed down still. 

"I missed you," Rose whispers against my ear. 

"I'm back." I rub her back and she shakes her head a little. 

"I thought you left me." She says and I look up when I hear the car door open. Scarlett shuts it behind her and I watch her walk away toward a bench. 

"I could never leave you," I promise. 

"You pinky promised me that." She reminds me and pulls away to look at me. 

"I remember. I'm still here." I tickle her sides and she giggles. "What happened between you and Mommy last night?" 

"She made you leave." Rose pouts and I shake my head. 

"She didn't make me leave. I did that by myself." I try to explain. "I'm very sorry I did." 

"I'm mad at, Mommy." She pouts and I pull her against my chest as I glance at Scarlett who is looking anywhere but the car. 

"She didn't do anything wrong. She even bought you a gift today." I say and Rose's face lights up a little. 

"Did I make her sad?" Rose asks and I nod. "I didn't want to make her sad. I was angry." 

"Anger can be very hard to control. Which is why we have to work hard to keep it away." I tell her as I reach into the back. I reveal the Lego set that I had gotten her but why not use it as a peace offering? "Mommy and I have a fun afternoon planned. Think you're up for that?" 

"Legos!" Rose shouts and grabs the small box from my hands. "What are we gonna do?" 

"I'm finally going to give you that ice cream I promised. The rest is a surprise." I say but in reality, I don't know what the rest could be yet.

"Yay!" Rose shifts in my lap a little and looks around. 

"We can leave without Mommy. Can you go get her?" I ask and Rose nods before forcing the door open and running down the sidewalk toward Scarlett. 

I watch her launch onto the bench and Scar jerks in surprise. Rose starts moving her mouth really fast and I see Scarlett break out into a huge smile before glancing at me in the car. I lift my hand to wave at her and she smiles even more before looking back at Rose. As they walk back Rose is talking about the Lego set and Scarlett is holding her hand pretty tightly. 

Scarlett opens the back of the car and Rose hops into her seat while still babbling about her day at school. Scar walks around to the other side and gets in and we smile at each other. She mouths, "Thank you", and I nod in response. 

Once both of them are settled I drive us to Rose's favorite ice cream shop and it's pretty much empty which makes it that much better. "Mama?" Rose leans forward once we park.