Part 99

"I'm not leaving." He said clearly. "I'm not moving from this spot until I know that he'll wake up again." "I will see you in the morning then."And that's just what happens. Rene stays by his son all night. Anytime Jean-Pierre stirs, Rene wakes up and moves closer, checks the machines, then lapses back into a light sleep. Only when his family arrives in the morning and wakes him, does he realize he's fallen asleep at all. Jean-Pierre looks much better in the morning, despite the bruises coloring his face. His eyes are bright, he laughs easily before moaning and grabbing his rib, and he waves off any concerns for his health. That doesn't stop Rene from going with his original plan. He goes with Ann-Renee and Jean-Pierre to their house after the doctor tells Jean-Pierre to take a full week break from everything. He's allowed walk through the house and do the basics, but needs to keep in mind that healing takes time.Which should calm Rene, but he knows his son like he knows himself. Jean-Pierre will test every limit given to him just to prove he can do it himself. The last thing he'll accept is his own mother taking care of him. Which is why Rene is insistent on being there and not letting his son take on too much. For the entire week, Rene takes care of his son and sleeps on the couch in the living room so he'snot a bother to anyone. Any moment he gets a free time, he talks to Celine. He gives her updates, tells her how much he misses her, and continues to promise to make it up to her. Every time, she tells him there's nothing to make up for. Ann-Renee shakes her head at him on the last day. "You are hopeless. So hopelesslywrapped around that girl.""There's a reason for that." He chuckles. "And no amount of teasing will change it.""As stubborn as your son. He's going back to college tomorrow, which means he'll want to be out and about today. Do you think you can let him do that? Celebrate his recovery with us before he throws himself back into everything at school?""I think I can manage that." Rene rolls his eyes. "We can go to the place down the road that he likes. Drinks and a treat as a well done and good bye for now."They agree and Jean-Pierre is thrilled to get out of the house and into the world. He's missed it like crazy. He talks almost nonstop as they drink coffee just outside the shop, enjoying the sunshine. Ann-Marie laughs and Ann-Renee's husband chuckles while shaking his head. Jean-Pierre goes quiet a moment and Rene follows his son's eyes to see Celine and Therese, both of them hefting paper bags of groceries. Rene nearly melts right then and there. She's beautiful, so full of life, so perfect. All he wants to do is sweep her up and into his arms. But he takes a scalding drink of coffee instead. "Celine!" Jean-Pierre shouts. "Come over here! Don't be shy!"