Chapter 3: An Invitation

After that day, Shuichi's world brightened a bit. It helped him get through the days knowing that he always had someone who loved him. But as the school year slowly progressed into the fall, Kokichi became more distant. He would sit next to Shuichi in classes, wave hi to him in the halls, but that was it. There was no more going over each other's houses, no more walking together, no more talking for hours. It was just gone. They haven't broken up, Kokichi still refers to Shuichi as his boyfriend, but it was like they had barely met. Instead of hanging with Shuichi, Kokichi would spend his time with Angie Yonaga, head of the student council. Yonaga, like the rest of the school, didn't take kindly to Shuichi. She was definitely nicer than the others, but Shuichi could still hear her snicker under her breath as he walked by.

Did Shuichi do something wrong? Ever since Shuichi got into this criminology class, he had been talking about true crime a lot more than he usually does. Did he freak Kokichi out? Well since him and Kokichi's first kiss, Shuichi has matured and has gotten a bit better a relationship. He knew what he had to do.

He had to talk to Kokichi.

Easier said than done, it was hard to get close to Kokichi without being shooed away by Yonaga or getting beaten by Kaito Momota. God did Shuichi hate Kaito, he was so sweet and charming to everyone else but with Shuichi, he treated him like he was a monster. He says cruel things to Shuichi, and every now and then he'd get the jump on him and beat him into next week. But Shuichi was willing to get beat to a pulp for Kokichi, he just wanted to figure things out.

Shuichi figured his best shot was to catch up to Kokichi while he was walking home, so when the final bell rang, Shuichi raced out of class to try and find Kokichi. Luckily, Shuichi found Kokichi walking down the road. He found it odd that Kokichi was using a different path to get home than usual, what was he hiding?

"Kokichi! Kokichi! Wait for me!" Shuichi shouted, he picked up his pace and ran up to his boyfriend's side. Kokichi looked unamused.

"Oh, hey Shuichi."

"Where're you going? This isn't the path to your place."

"I'm taking a short cut."

"Oh, well-"

"Cya Shuichi." Kokichi started walking faster down the path of red and orange trees. Shuichi felt his chance slowly slipping away.

"No, Kokichi wait!" Shuichi cried, the desperation in his voice was obvious, "Please..."

There was a small sniffle that came from Kokichi, but he slowly turned around, having that bored look on his face.

"What?" His tone was cold and harsh, it was tearing away at Shuichi's heart.

"Kokichi I'm so so sorry if I hurt you, I promise I can make it better! All you have to do is tell me what's wrong and I'll fix it, I swear I will! Please Kokichi, I don't want to lose this with you, I love you!" Shuichi shouted, he felt tears in the corners of his eyes, all he wanted was to get through to Kokichi. He wanted to show him how much he loved him.

"Shuichi.." Kokichi's cold look slowly faded off his face. Instead, he looked guilty. He ran up to Shuichi and hugged him as tight as he could. Shuichi squeaked, he felt like he could cry but he didn't, he didn't want Kokichi to cry either.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry.." Kokichi cried, he seemed so upset, but for what?

"It's okay Kokichi, we can talk this out."

"It's nothing you've been doing; it's just I've been so busy with Yonaga that I wasn't thinking! And now look what I've done, I almost made you cry."

Shuichi internally sighed, so it wasn't him. That was good to know.

"It's okay, it's okay. What have you and Yonaga been doing?" Kokichi paused for a second, he looked off to the side, as if to try and figure out what to say.

"We've been planning a party," Kokichi paused again, "..and you're invited."

Shuichi's eyes widened; he was invited. Really? Him? The fact that Yonaga is throwing this party automatically makes it the biggest party of the fall. The last time Shuichi went to a party, he just hid in the bathroom the whole time. He would rather that than stand awkwardly or pretend to check a text on his phone.

"A-Are you sure this is for me? There aren't any other Shuichis?"

"I'm sure, Yonaga-san says she wants to make up. She wants everyone to get to know you." Kokichi said, avoiding eye contact with Shuichi.

Was this true? Did they really want to get know Shuichi? He felt an excitement rise up in his body, if he could prove to everyone that he was normal, then maybe they'd finally see him for who he is, and maybe even be friends!

"Oh! I'm so excited, when is that party? What time?"

"Ahh, it's next week, I don't know what time yet."

"Oh okay! I can't wait Kokichi!" Shuichi smiled, showering Kokichi's face in kisses.

"Mmm..Shuichi quit it.."

"Oops~ Sorry~" Shuichi giggled, Kokichi smiled softly.

"Will you sleep over at my house tonight?" Kokichi asked, grabbing Shuichi's hand.

"Of course! Anything for you, love!"

"God, Shuichi, I love you.."

"I love you too~"

"I'm sorry..."

Woohoo! Another chapter, sorry if things are going slow, I'd say about another one or two chapters till we get into the mastermind stuff. But hopefully you enjoyed!