Chapter 20: Something Unexpected

"Uncle..where's mommy?"

"I'm sorry buddy.. she's gone.."

"Gone? When is she coming back?"

"..she's not coming back honey.."

"N-Not coming back?"

Shuichi woke up in a cold sweat, salty tears dripping down his eyes. It was another nightmare, he had been having more and more recently, mostly about his mother, specifically when she died. This one was less intense than the other one though, sometimes he'll dream of her crashing right in front of him. Her screams of pain ringing in his ears till they bleed, it was horrible, it always made him cry. He tried to shake the feeling though.

"What a great first night.." Shuichi grumbled to himself, he realized that his head was resting on Kokichi's chest, he was holding Shuichi very close. Shuichi could hear Kokichi's heartbeat, it was slow and steady, like a beat to a nice song.

I wonder if it'll just suddenly stop.

Then Shuichi realized something even more important, he realized that he had fallen asleep before Kokichi. Not only did he not get to check in with the audience, but he also left Kokichi unsupervised, meaning he could've possibly discovered his identity. Shuichi slowly and carefully removed himself from Kokichi's grip, and slowly leaned over to check under the bed. Everything was still in order, and nothing seemed to be moved or tinkered with. Shuichi sighed with relief.

"Mmm..Shuichi..?" Kokichi grumbled in his sleep, feeling around for Shuichi. Shuichi slowly grabbed his phone from under the bed, it was 7:00 am, a perfect time to start the morning announcements.

"Rise and shine! It is now 7:00 am, which means it's time for you to all get up and see who gets to live and see another day~ Enjoy the party~" The same distorted voice from before boomed over the intercom, even the soundest of sleepers would be woken up by this alarm. As Kokichi began to slowly rise, Shuichi shoved his phone in his pocket and pretended to be asleep.

"Urgh..it's already time to get up?" Kokichi sat up and yawned, stretching his arms, he looked over at Shuichi. Seeing that he's still "asleep."

"Oh, my sweet Shuichi is still asleep." Kokichi planted a soft kiss on Shuichi's forehead, if Shuichi could get up right now and tell Kokichi to never call him that again he would, it was like he was living in a romance written by a twelve-year-old.

"Shuichi.. time to get up.." Kokichi shook Shuichi a little, which was his cue to pretend to wake up. Shuichi yawned quietly, slowly opening his eyes, seeing Kokichi's lovesick ones laid upon him.

"Shuichi! You're up, I heard an announcement on the intercom, telling us all to get up."

"Mm..you did?" Shuichi rubbed his eyes and slowly sat up.

"Yeah, it was that stupid distorted voice from yesterday.."

"Oh right..I remember.." Kokichi slowly got off the bed, stretching a bit more.

"Well let's go to the cafeteria, maybe we can get something nice to eat." Kokichi suggested, Shuichi nodded and got off the bed as well, slipping his shoes on.

Shuichi opened the door of Kokichi, and they both walked to the cafeteria, where most of the others were at. Luckily, Kaito wasn't there to bother Shuichi with his stupidity.

"Hey Kokichi, I'm not that hungry right now. Why don't you go get something to eat while I sit and wait." Shuichi smiled softly; he had lost his appetite ever since he left home for good, only eating when he absolutely needed too. Kokichi tried to protest but Shuichi insisted, he sat down at the table alone. He could feel everyone looking at him with disgust, they all thought it was him behind this mess, and they were right. But they couldn't do anything about it, they were all at the mercy of Shuichi himself. Shuichi was so lost in his thoughts, that he didn't notice who sat beside him.

"Hey Saihara."

It was Tsumugi Shirogane..? What the hell does she want?

"Hello Shirogane." Shuichi tapped his foot impatiently, looking around the room.

"Nice place isn't it?" Tsumugi's voice was cold, just like her gaze off into nothingness. It even put Shuichi off.

"I would enjoy it even more if it wasn't a death trap." Shuichi mumbled.

"Well that just adds to the fun of it." Tsumugi whispered, but Shuichi could hear it, he knows what she said. Tsumugi tried to make small talk, but Shuichi just kept looking around for Kokichi, hoping he would come back soon so he could drop this conversation.

"Shuichiii!" Finally, Kokichi sat right in between Shuichi and Tsumugi, he grabbed onto Shuichi's hand and kissed him on the cheek.

"I was sitting there." Tsumugi scoffed.

"I don't see your name on it." Kokichi snapped back.

"I was just trying to have a conversation with Saihara."

"Well I bet he'd just love to talk to you."

"I'd bet he love to talk to someone like you too." Shuichi could sense the tension rising, and by god, was it interesting.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Kokichi huffed, his grip and Shuichi's hand tightened.

"It means that why would he want to talk to someone who ran through a dozen different guys while you thought he was dead?" Kokichi yet again tightened his grip on Shuichi's hand, it actually started to hurt a bit.

"..that was nothing..they all meant nothing.."

"Who's to say you weren't talking to other people while you guys were a thing."

"I was not! I'm loyal, Shuichi is my everything, I'd never do anything to hurt him!" Kokichi snarled, Tsumugi just gave a condescending smile.

"You sure did hurt him on the night of the party."

"If you don't shut up..I'm gonna kill you." Shuichi smiled to himself, he hadn't seen this side of Kokichi. The side of Kokichi that would be driven to murder if given the circumstances, Shuichi wondered what he could do to this side of him, I mean Kokichi was just pledging his servitude to Shuichi a few moments ago. How can Shuichi use the violent side of Kokichi to his advantage? But before Shuichi could think about that, he needed to get something done first. He rubbed Kokichi's hand with his thumb, causing Kokichi to soften his grip.

"No need to get so heated my love, remember what you promised me?~" Shuichi whispered softly, he used a gentle, understanding tone that he knows drives Kokichi crazy. He first discovered this when the two studied for a math test for the first time. The anger disappeared off of Kokichi's face, and instead, his pupils seemed to turn into hearts again.

"R-Right..I'll go look for the perfect opportunity, okay? I won't disappoint you, sweetheart." Kokichi got up from his seat and walked towards the side of the room Keebo was in. Shuichi saw this as the perfect time to go back to his dorm and check in on his audience. He slowly got up from his seat, unaware Tsumugi was still there.

"I know you're using him to get what you want." Tsumugi said calmly, Shuichi was taken aback.

"You're using his undying love for you to get what you need to get done, it's quite smart actually, I applaud you."

"I'm not using Kokichi, I love him."

"Don't play dumb with me."

"Leave me alone Shirogane." Shuichi started walking away from Tsumugi, feeling more and more uncomfortable by the second.

"You know Saihara, me and you are very alike." Alike? No way, Shuichi was a good person and Tsumugi was a terrible one. Sure he was using Kokichi, but he was getting what he wants, and it's not like he knows he's being used. For all he knows Shuichi is head over heels for him, and that's all he needed to know for now. And besides, Shuichi is making the world a better place by getting rid of horrible people like her.

I'll never be like her..I'd never hurt someone like she hurt me..

IM NOT WRITING A LOVE TRIANGLE BETWEEN TSUMUGI, KOKICHI, AND SHUICHI BTW SO PLS DONT THINK THAT </3