Chatper 13: Suffering

Kokichi has been having night terrors, every single night he would wake up screaming, begging for Shuichi to stay with him. The nightmares he had were different every time, but the all had to do with Shuichi, he could be in danger, on his death bed, or Kokichi could just recall the incident. The moment he lost Shuichi forever.

But today was different, today Kokichi would apologize, and maybe Shuichi can find it in his heart to forgive him. And maybe, just maybe, he can feel the warmth of Shuichi's arms once again.  He held the basket of cupcakes close to him, they were chocolate, Shuichi's favorite. He had poured his heart and soul into these cupcakes, baking had never been so stressful.

Kokichi walked up to Shuichi's door step and knocked on the door, he couldn't wait to see Shuichi's face when he his all time favorite cupcakes!

But Shuichi didn't open the door, his uncle did.

"Oh..Oma.."

"Saihara-sama! It's nice to see you..is Shuichi home?"

"Well about that.." Shuichi's uncle looked off to the side, he looked nervous.

"He's not with us anymore.." Kokichi dropped the basket he was holding, letting all the cupcakes spill onto the floor.

"He's dead!? Oh god, please tell me he isn't dead!"

"I'm sorry Oma.." Kokichi couldn't hold it in anymore, he started sobbing, he cried out all the tears he's been keeping in.

"No! S-Shuichi..please..I just wanted to protect him! I'm so sorry!" Kokichi cried out, Shuichi's uncle tried to comfort him but it was no use, Kokichi was utterly heart broken.

Kokichi ended up running off crying, he didn't even press for details, all he knew was that he would never get to make up with Shuichi ever.

"I did it." Shuichi's uncle said, his expression was sad and guilty.

"Well? What happened, give me details uncle!" Shuichi smiled widely, awaiting the results he craved so much.

"He cried, a lot, he said he loved you and stuff."

Shuichi waited, and he waited, and he waited. But it didn't come, the feeling of overwhelming happiness didn't come. He just felt..sad.

"He cried? Is he okay?? Did he make it home safely-"

"Dammit Shuichi! Why would you care if you're the one who wanted to hurt him in the first place?!" Shuichi stopped, why did he care? Why can he boss around Keebo with no remorse, but feel bad for Kokichi? He hurt him not if worse than the others!

But still, Shuichi found himself at a flower shop, looking for a bouquet of roses to buy. He made sure not to be spotted though.

"I swear..I'm just being nice..nothing else.."

Shuichi stepped onto Kokichi's doorstep, leaving the roses in a basket with a letter attached.

"Till death due we part, I'll always love you Kokichi." 

Shuichi knocked on the door and ran away, not bothering to stay for Kokichi's reaction.

"This doesn't mean anything, I still hate all of them..all fourteen- I-I mean fifteen."