Chapter 29: "Sweet" Dreams

Shuichi giggled to himself, he quietly returned to his own dorm and released the barriers from all the dorm doors.

"Alright everyone~ Punishment time is over, you can come out now~"

Shuichi laid down, sprawled across his bed. The cries and despair that could be heard outside was like a sweet lullaby sending Shuichi off into a deep sleep.

"I'm such a genius.." Shuichi mumbled before he shut his eyes and drifted off into dream land.

Shuichi's POV

My eyes slowly fluttered opened, my cheeks were tear stained and my nose seemed to stuffed.

I had been crying, I must've had a nightmare, but I can't remember what. One moment I was asleep, and the next I'm awake. Though something feels off, I'm not in the dormitory beds at the school. The beds are much more stiff and uncomfortable, but here it feels like the mattress is giving me a warm hug.

Speaking of which, someone is giving me a hug. This person..they're slowly rubbing my back, it's oddly relaxing given the circumstance. I could've been kidnapped and in danger, but I'm not afraid, I'm at peace.

I could feel the night's cool breeze dry the tears on my cheeks, and the pitter patter of the rain outside soothed my senses. Even though the outside seemed to be cold, inside this room was warm, I'm surrounded by loving warmth.

"Shhh..it's okay..Shuichi it's okay.." A voice whispered in my ear, it was silky smooth, a voice of an angel really. I recognized it almost instantly.

It was my first love, Kokichi Ouma. The first person to break my heart as well.

What is he doing in my dorm? Did he break in? Well that couldn't be the case, the environment makes it clear that we're in somewhere other than the school.

I sniffed quietly, the faint scent of apple cider flooded my nose. I finally knew where I was, I was at Kokichi's house, I was in his bedroom.

"Kokichi?" I whispered, I realized that I was holding Kokichi in my arms, his head was buried in my neck. He looked up at me, his beautiful violet eyes twinkled in the moonlight.

Everything about him was so gorgeous.

"Kokichi..where am I?" I was confused and disoriented. I was just in the abandoned school awhile ago, I had just killed Yonaga, and now Kokichi is caressing me at his own house.

"You're at my house remember? We decided to not go to the party Yonaga was throwing, we watched the new Danganronpa episode instead. You fell asleep halfway through." Kokichi said softly, he placed a kiss on my cheek. We never went to the party? That's not true..I remembered it so vividly, it's been a year since that party. But Kokichi never recalled the incident happening, and there's no way Kokichi could have escaped the school with me sleeping so..

Was it all a very, very bad dream? That seemed to make sense, yes, it was all a dream. No one died, uncle is still here, but most importantly..

Kokichi can remain as my first love, and he never has to become the person who broke my heart.

I truly think he is the one.

"K-Kokichi! I-I had the most horrible nightmare- We went to the party and they all hurt me!" Tears started to prick at the corner of my eyes, I was so relieved, that was terrible. I couldn't believe I let myself do such terrible acts.

"Shuichi! Don't cry..it's okay..you're safe. I always protect you." Always protect me? That's all I needed to hear, Kokichi will always protect me, and I'll always protect him. Sure life may be tough, but with him by my side, I think I can get through it.

I slowly leaned in for a kiss, Kokichi held me tight as our lips softly touched. The butterflies in my stomach began to arise and Kokichi slid his arms around my neck.

In between kisses, Kokichi whispered to me, "I'll always love you Shuichi."

And that's all I needed to hear.

Shuichi woke up in the dark, with a smile on his face.

"I'll always love you too Kokichi-" Shuichi started, but stopped when he came to the horrible realization.

It was just a dream. Kokichi never held him tightly in his arms and said he'll protect him, it was all fake.

"Stupid..stupid..I'm showing weakness.." Shuichi whispered to himself, he stared up at the ceiling as he began to cry for the second time today.

WHY?! WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS?! WHY ARE YOU CRYING OVER A DISGUSTING CREATURE LIKE KOKICHI. HE'S WORTHLESS. YOU'RE WORTHLESS. YOU HAVE ONE THING TO DO AND YOU'RE FUCKING THAT UP BECAUSE OF YOUR STUPID EMOTIONS. YOU ARE A PATHETIC MASTERMIND AND YOU'LL NEVER COMPARE TO JUNKO.

SUCK. IT. UP.

Shuichi didn't get any sleep for the rest of the night. He spent the hours screaming at himself in his head.

Someone save this deranged soul known as Shuichi Saihara.