Chapter 25: Searching for answers

"We should probably go investigate all the commotion outside." Shuichi suggested, he slowly removed himself from Kokichi's grasp and opened the dorm door. Everyone was lined up at his door, their expression was a mix of fear and anger, of course, they were going to accused him of killing Keebo. Which they would be correct, Shuichi did kill Keebo, but he's not going to be the one punished.

"What's going on!? What did I do?!" Shuichi played dumb, Kaito scoffed and grabbed Shuichi by the collar of his shirt.

"Don't act innocent, fuckface." Kaito started, "We know you killed Keebo."

Shuichi mentally sighed, he's going to get tired of always being the first one accused, but that would have to do for now. After this trial, he can hopefully gain everyone's trust little by little to make the investigation period a little easier for himself.

"I would never kill Keebo!" Shuichi protested, Kaito didn't loosen his grip though. God, was he annoying, all brawns no brains, Kaito couldn't figure out an equation as simple as two plus two.

At least that's all Shuichi could see in Kaito, Shuichi didn't believe Kaito had the skills to be smart. He underestimates.

"Put him down Momota!" Kokichi finally came out of the dorm, he stared Kaito dead in the eyes.

"Shuichi was with me the whole time, he never left the dorm since breakfast." One thing about Kokichi that surprised Shuichi was how good he was at lying, Kokichi knows Shuichi went out, he just doesn't know how long. But yet he said it so naturally that Shuichi himself could remember being in the dorm all throughout the day.

"That's right, I saw Saihara leave for his dorm after we talked." Tsumugi chimed in, Shuichi eyed Tsumugi with disgust. Next to Kaito, Tsumugi had become Shuichi's least favorite of the fifteen, why you may ask? The answer is simple.

She made the grave mistake of comparing herself to Shuichi, saying that they are alike. Shuichi would never be like her, hurting someone just for the for of it. He'd never do that to anyone, everything he's doing is for an important reason.

He's making the world a better place.

Kaito sighed, he let go of Shuichi.

"I've got my eye on you." Kaito said before disappearing with Maki.

".. well what should we do?" Himiko asked, she looked like she had seen a ghost.

"Accept our fate." Korekiyo suggested.

There was a bunch of crying, everyone thought that they were going to die. They clearly didn't have an deductive skills that would enable them to find the culprit.

"Wait! Guys don't give up! I think we should get into partners and try to find clues about Keebo's death!" Shuichi decided he'll help these kids out, and give them a nudge in the right direction.

"Good idea, Himiko you're with me!" Tenko scooped up Himiko and ran off. Everyone else partnered up and went their own ways. Except Tsumugi.

"Saihara, would you like to partner up? I'd like to continue the conversation we were having." Tsumugi held her hand out, the way the light reflected off her glasses gave Shuichi an erirrly feeling. Before Shuichi could even open his mouth, Kokichi gripped Shuichi's hand.

"Actually Shirogane, he's my partner." Kokichi hissed. Tsumugi only chuckled.

"Well you should at least let him decide, looks like you've been holding him hostage." Tsumugi had a sly look on her face, Shuichi felt uncomfortable, something about her put him off.

"I was actually going to partner up with Kokichi, sorry Shirogane." Shuichi said, looking off to the side. Tsumugi's grin faded, she just had a bored look on her face.

"Oh. Okay." Tsumugi walked away, and that was it.

Shuichi sighed and dragged Kokichi off to investigate, the spent their time pointing out the obvious, Shuichi did collect some strains of her though. Soon enough, investigating period was over, time for the main event.

"Everyone~ Please report to the debate room for our first class trial!"  The voice boomed over the intercom, Shuichi and Kokichi slowly walked with the rest of the students. Shuichi could feel Tsumugi looking at him through the corner of her eye.

"You're mine Shuichi, you can't belong to anyone else." Kokichi said out of the blue.

"Do you ever fucking shut up?"

Oops, Shuichi let that one slip.