Chapter 4: Acceptance?

It was a week before Halloween, and just so happened to be the day of the party Shuichi was invited to, and he couldn't be more nervous. 

It seemed like Kokichi was nervous too, in fact, he'd forgotten something very important.

"Hellooo Saihara-kun~" Angie chirped, Shuichi looked behind him, surprised. Was Yonaga actually talking to him?

"Uhm, hello Yonaga-san." Shuichi murmured, even though he was under the impression that people wanted to make up. Every time someone would take to him, he would feel his mouth grow dry and his chest tighten. 

"No need to be shy Saihara! We're friends now!" 

Shuichi's heart could melt, did Yonaga mean this? Does she know how much this means to him?

"Yeah..friends.."

"Anyways~ You know what time the party is right? And you know where I live?" 

Shuichi realized that he didn't know where the party is, or when it even starts. 

"Actually, no, I don't.."

"Really? Oma was supposed to tell you!" Angie had an annoyed look on her face, she sighed. She gave Shuichi the address and time.

"Alright Saihara, see you then~"

"See you, Yonaga."

After School

Kokichi and Shuichi were walking home, Kokichi seemed to be on edge lately, but no matter how much Shuichi questioned, he wouldn't tell him why. But today he seemed more relieved. 

"You know Kokichi~" Shuichi giggled, grabbing onto Kokichi's hand.

"Hm? What's up Shuichi?"

"You're so silly~"

"W-What? I'm not silly!"

"Yes, you are, you forgot to tell me what time and where the party is!" When the words slipped out of Shuichi's mouth, Kokichi's eyes seemed to fill with stress like they were the last couple of days. 

"Oh..right..silly me.." He muttered.

"That's okay though! Yonaga told me. I just can't wait!" Shuichi exclaimed, smiling brightly.

"Shuichi." 

"Yesss?"

"Promise me something." Kokichi's voice shifted to a serious tone, which startled Shuichi. Did he do something wrong again?

"What is it?"

"Promise me, that no matter what happens, you'll always love me." Kokichi's grip on Shuichi's hand tightened. He was looking around everywhere, like someone was watching him. 

"Kokichi is something wrong? Do you need to talk about something-"

"Just promise me."

"O-Okay, I promise."

Kokichi dropped Shuichi off at his house, where he gave him an unusually long kiss, and an unusually long hug. 

"Kokichi calm down, you're gonna see me in less than two hours." Shuichi assured, holding Kokichi close to him.

"I know, I just love you.."

"I love you too!"

After showering Shuichi with affection, Kokichi said his goodbyes and went home. Shuichi excitedly, rushed into his house.

"Uncle! Uncle I'm homeee!" 

"Ah, there's my boy Shuichi!" Shuichi's uncle trotted down the stairs with a big smile on his face. Ever since Shuichi's mom had passed, his uncle was the one who raised him for most of his life. In fact, up until Shuichi was eight, he would refer to his uncle as his dad. Needless to say, every once in a while, he makes that same mistake. He uncle would always correct him though. 

"Say, isn't today the day you're supposed to go to that party?" His uncle asked, patting Shuichi on the back as he came through the door and set his stuff down. 

"Yea, hopefully it goes well."

"I know it'll go well, just wait, once these kids get to see who you really are, they'll never leave you alone!"

"Heh, I sure hope so." 

"Trust me Shuichi, you're just like your mother, smart and ambitious. Everyone is going to love you." Shuichi smiled; the thought of his mother brought him overwhelming warmth. 

"Thanks uncle, I'm going to go get ready." 

"Alright, have fun kid!" 

Shuichi smiled once again; it was like everything was going his way this year. He ran up to his room, another thing that Yonaga mentioned that was this was supposed to be a costume party. Y'know, since it's so close to Halloween and all. So, Shuichi decided he needed to dress to impress. What should he be though, a zombie? A werewolf? A shark? He had no idea. To be completely fair, even though he wanted to impress the others. He was mainly trying to swoon Kokichi. 

He remembered Kokichi saying something about vampires, so he decided to dress up as that. Shuichi hated to admit it, but he had actually all the things he needed to dress up as a vampire. He had red contacts, fangs, and make up. The reason being is that in spare time..he liked to cosplay. But no knew about this except his uncle, not even Kokichi. It was too embarrassing. 

He needed a suit though, so he dug around in his closet. When he found nothing, he snuck into his room and dug around in his closet. Eventually he found a black suit and tie with a letter on it.

"You're always telling me how you wanted a suit so you could tell me what to do, but they only had it in this size, so maybe when you're about 17 or so you can fit it. But I think you'd look adorable in it either way - From mom"

Shuichi blinked for a moment, stunned. The writing was smudged and looked old, but not old enough to be his grandmother's handwriting. Was this suit a gift from his mom before she passed? It was so beautiful, if it really that old it's been kept in good shape. And if it really was from his mother..maybe Shuichi would feel like his mother was actually there with him. So, he quietly took the suit and ran into his room. He slowly put the clothes on and it fit perfectly. As Shuichi looked in the mirror, he found himself slowly giving himself a hug. 

"I miss you mom, if only you were here." He ushered to himself, but this was no time to cry, he had just done his makeup. He decided to finish off his look with a couple rings he bought earlier this week. 

Before he knew it, it was time to leave for the party. He heard Kokichi knocking on the door, he giggled and ran down the stairs.

"Bye uncle! I'm leaving!" Shuichi shouted as he ran down the stairs.

"Where is that damn thing- See you kiddo!"

Shuichi opened the door, seeing that Kokichi wasn't dressed up as anything.

"S-Shuichi!" Kokichi's face flushed looking at Shuichi.

"Heyyy Kokichi!" Shuichi smiled, happy knowing that his plan was a success, but he was a little sad Kokichi didn't dress up too.

"I didn't know you were dressing up." 

"Of course I was gonna dress up!"

"Well, if I knew that I could've matched with you." Kokichi looked disappointed.

"Who says we can't still match?" Shuichi took Kokichi's hand and held it up to his lips.

"How about, the time is set in the Victorian era, and you're just a simple peasant in that time. But little does the rest of your village know that you have a vampire wrapped around your finger~" Shuichi kissed Kokichi's hand, expecting a reaction out of him.

"Shuichi that sounds so dumb."

"Eh- What?!" Kokichi laughed, while Shuichi just stood there, processing what just happened.

"Come on, let's go, my sweet vampire!" 

Okay so this chapter was little longer than the others, I didn't expect to write this much. The last chapter was only around 400 words and this one is over 1000. But I hope to have the next chapter up in about 3 to 4 days, hope you enjoy!