Chapter 29 - Anniversary Dinner

I threw on a flowy floral dress, curled my hair, put on some light eye makeup and I was ready. I looked at myself in the mirror as I gripped the heart necklace Brian had given me. I took a deep breath in and let it out slowly.

Brian had made reservations at my favorite Italian restaurant tonight for our anniversary. I was really excited but really nervous to sit with him tonight. I just wanted everything to feel normal again but I really don't think that would be possible, at least not for a while.

Just then I heard my phone buzz. I pulled it from my purse and my stomach turned when I saw it was a text from Colby. I had changed his name in my phone to just C.

Colby: Hope your flight home went well. I miss you already.

I swallowed hard trying to decide if I should text him back or not. Him texting me that stuff would only make trying to forget about him even harder. 

"You about ready?" I heard Brian say from the hallway. His voice startled me so bad I nearly dropped my phone. I looked over at him and he was smiling. Then he laughed a bit, "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. You look beautiful Anna." 

I smiled and tucked my phone back into my purse, and then Brian and I made our way to the car and headed to the restaurant. 

-

Dinner was amazing and Brian and I were having a great night together, reminiscing about our first couple of dates and how awkward we both were. It was so nice talking about the past with Brian. it reminded me how much I really loved him. 

Brian ordered us both a chocolate lava cake to share, we continued talking as we waited for our dessert.

"So I'm really surprised you and Megan didn't kill each other during your trip," Brian said with a laugh.

I took a sip of my wine and gave him a weird look, "What do you mean?" I asked. Brian chuckled, "Just cause I know she can get annoying when it comes to those YouTube guys. Especially that Colby one."

My stomach turned hearing Brian say Colby's name. I had forgotten about Colby in the last hour. Everything was starting to feel somewhat normal, but hearing his name just brought all the memories and feelings back. 

I set my glass down and shook my head, "Nah it honestly went pretty well. It was really fun to go on a trip with Megan too, we never do that stuff." 

Brian smiled and reached across the table, taking my hand in his. "Well good. I'm glad." I smiled and looked down at Brian's hand over mine. 

"I just missed you so much Anna, and it made me realize that I need you in my life and I want to spend the rest of my life with you," Brian said as his thumb brushed over mine. 

I lifted my head to look at him, and he was smiling so big. Just then the waiter came over with our dessert, I watched as the waiter placed the plate right in the middle of the table between us. 

"Thank you," I said to the waiter before looking down at the plate. 

And that's when my whole world was about to change. 

My eyes widened, and my heart started pounding out of my chest as I read the words written out in chocolate around the lava cake.

Will you marry me, Anna?

I flicked my eyes up to Brian as he started getting out of his seat. "Brian," I started as I turned toward him, my hands were shaking.

I watched as Brian got down on one knee in front of me and pulled a small box out of his jacket pocket. I started hearing gasps and whispering from people who were sitting around us.

I swallowed hard as I felt tears form in my eyes.

"Anna, I love you more than anything in the whole world. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?" 

I watched as he opened the box to reveal the most beautiful ring I had ever seen. I placed my hand over my chest as I felt tears forming in my eyes. The whole restaurant was looking at us now. 

It felt like an eternity I was sitting there staring at Brian and the ring in his hand. So many thoughts were running through my mind. 

I thought about Brian and me, all of our memories together and all the plans we have for the future. 

I thought about Colby. The boy who made me feel a way I had never felt before. So free, so happy, so brave. But that was all over now and I had to keep telling myself that no matter how hard it was going to be.

 I focused back in on Brian who was on one knee in front of me with the same big smile on my face. I smiled at him as I wiped a tear from my eyes. I nodded my head and said, "Yes. Yes, Brian. Yes." The last yes came out as a sob as I stood up from my chair and reached for him. He stood up now and pulled me to him. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he held me in his arms. 

I don't know why I was crying, because I was happy or because I literally cheated on Brian not even 24 hours earlier. And I still had feelings for Colby.

Everyone in the restaurant was cheering now and it felt like I was in a dream. It didn't feel real and I really didn't know how to feel. 

I pulled away from Brian and held out my shaky hand as he slipt the ring onto my finger. it really was beautiful. 

"I love you, Anna," Brian said again as he kissed me gently. 

"I love you too," I said after the kiss. We continued hugging for a bit and then a nice lady at the table next to us took a few pictures for us. Finally, the hype of everyone around us died down and we decided to eat our dessert before heading out. I took a quick picture of it and then we dug in. 

 I was engaged. I was not expecting it all. I know Brian had something big planned for our anniversary this year but I definitely wasn't expecting this. So much was running through my head, I barely got time to think about if this was something I really wanted.