⤷ 16| WOMAN ON A MISSION

CHAPTER SIXTEENwoman on a mission

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
woman on a mission

⋆. ────────── ꕥ ────────── .⋆

The doors of the hospital wing burst open, making them all jump: Molly and Arthur were striding up the ward, Fleur just behind them, her beautiful face terrified.

"Molly—Arthur—" Professor McGonagall said, jumping up and hurrying to greet them. "I am so sorry—"

"Bill," Molly whispered, darting past Professor McGonagall as she caught sight of Bill's mangled face. "Oh, Bill!"

Remus, Nymphadora, Sirius and Aiden had got up hastily and retreated so that Molly and Arthur could get nearer to the bed. Molly bent over her son and pressed her lips to his bloody forehead.

"You said Greyback attacked him?" Arthur asked Professor McGonagall distractedly. "But he hadn't transformed? So what does that mean? What will happen to Bill?"

"We don't yet know," Professor McGonagall said, looking helplessly at Remus.

"There will probably be some contamination, Arthur," Remus said. "It is an odd case, possibly unique . . . we don't know what his behaviour might be like when he wakes up . . . Neither do we know how Liam will react on it," he added, glancing at June.

Molly took the nasty-smelling ointment from Madam
Pomfrey and began dabbing at Bill's wounds.

"And Dumbledore . . ." Arthur said. "Minerva, is it true . . . is he really . . .?"

June turned her head away and looked at Fleur instead. She was gazing down at Bill with a frozen expression on her face. Almost automatically, June rose up and headed towards her, placing a comforting hand on Fleur's shoulder and giving it a small squeeze.

"Dumbledore gone," Arthur whispered, but Molly had eyes only for her eldest son; she began to sob, tears falling on to Bill's mutilated face.

"Of course, it doesn't matter how he looks . . . it's not r-really important . . . but he was a very handsome little b-boy . . . always very handsome . . . and he was g-going to be married!"

"And what do you mean by zat?" Fleur said suddenly and loudly. "What do you mean, 'e was going to be married?"

Molly raised her tear-stained face, looking startled.

"Well—only that—"

"You theenk Bill will not wish to marry me any more?" Fleur demanded. "You theenk, because of these bites, he will not love me?"