Chapter 2: The Orientation Event

The Academy Coliseum was as big, if not larger, than the Roman Colosseum, being able to hold more than 50,000 people. Unlike the weathered Wonder from my past life, this amphitheatre was constructed with modern technology. Several gigantic screens were floating in the air that directly displayed the podium to the audience.

Despite it being early in the morning, several professors and other faculty members were rushing about, to check the final preparations.

On noticing me arriving, some of the gossipy cleaners started whispering amongst themselves.

"Look! Isn't that Ray Laxon, the Rank C Hero that got into Star Academy through the backdoor?"

"So what if he is the son of the head of the Aurum Guild? How can they let such a person into the prestigious Star Academy, even if it's as a temporary professor position."

From the whispers, one name particularly stood out to me. I hadn't had the time to go through all of my newly-acquired memories, so I wasn't able to properly remember where I had heard the name 'Laxon'.

The whispers provided me with the answer.

The Aurum Guild.

It was a famous, or rather infamous, name in the novel.

The Aurum Guild currently held quite a lot of power in the human world, being the #5 Guild in the world. It had a contract with many Rank A and Rank S Heroes, and also had access to many high Rank Dungeons.

But this won't be the case for long. In a year or two, The Aurum Guild would horribly fail in a top-class Dungeon, dealing a heavy blow to its reputation.

While the head of the Guild, Heron Laxon, was dealing with the consequences of this, an article was released on his son making deals with the Fallen, dropping the guild's reputation even more.

The Hero League finally used all their power to bring down the Aurum Guild and arrest the Laxon family for associating with The Chaos Alliance, executing them later.

Heron Laxon's son, at that time, escaped the arrest and joined the ranks of The Fallen. Later on, he became one of the primary antagonists Rhian would have to face during his path to kill the Demon Lord.

Looking at Ray's previous personality, it wasn't likely he was the son in question. The only other person was Edward Martin, the love child of Heron Laxon.

Contrary to the rumours, Ray did enter the Academy through the proper procedures. And despite being the legitimate son of Heron Laxon, his father held no particular affection for Ray and his sister. Heron Laxon had a typical political marriage with Ray's mother, Liliana, and thus showed complete indifference to both her children.

Holding no affection for her, he brought in a paramour, Rosamund Martin, and had a son with her, showering the child with all his love.

Liliana didn't have any sort of infatuation with Heron either. Instead, she used his name and money to become one of the top socialites in modern high society, leaving both her children on their own, with no one to care for them.

I was in no hurry to give up on my new life, having died just recently, and since the article relating to The Chaos Society would be released within a year, it would be best if I distanced, possibly ousted myself from the family as soon as possible.

While I was thinking about the possible ways I could leave behind the Laxon family, the Coliseum was slowly filling up.

The second and third years entered in groups, while the first years nervously joined them, looking around for famous faces. The Guild representatives scanned the seats for potential Top Heroes. Though, of course, Rhian was their topmost priority, since he was from a 'commoner' family, with no special connections, and could easily be leased in, unlike the other two top Cadets, since they were already affiliated with their respective families and Guilds.