Chapter 14: The Academy Midterms

The only reason Misa approached Ray was because she felt guilty about spying on him. When she saw him training that day, she thought that the best way to relieve her guilt will be to help him train, since she knew from her reports that Ray's fighting skills weren't good. It also helped that the second stage of Brahma Sword Art was controlling the mana in the environment, something she was quite good at with her skill 'Voice of the World'.

After the day that Ray Ranked up, she helped him to train for a week. He was a fast learner, so it was a mystery how he was still at C+ Rank, which was the rank for the average third year student at the Academy.

She had read reports that Ray was researching something before he came to the Academy, but the research failed and never saw the light of day.

'Just imagine if he trained in that time. He could have surpassed his brother by now.'

But soon their daily training had to stop. It had been four months since the semester had started in February and it was now time for the midterm exams. Ray was busy with setting the paper for the first years and Misa was busy with her classes. She had to guide her students through several artificial Dungeons that the Academy had created. As it was for training, the monsters inside were robots and were much weaker than their real-life counterparts.

One evening, she found Ray roughly searching through something on his laptop. She sneaked up behind him, to see what it was, and found him, trying to apply for Capital City ID cards.

"Hmm. What are you searching for here?" She spoke up.

Ray flinched, looking back at her in horror. "Misa, you almost gave me a heart attack."

"Well, then you just need to work on your Perception." She replied, giving him a coy smile. "By the way, what are you doing here?"

"Oh, this?" He hesitantly started. "Well, you remember the trip I took a few weeks back? Well on the Island I had gone to, I found this boy who had just newly Awakened. I promised that I would bring him and his guardian to the Human Continent, but getting them new IDs is proving quite difficult."

"IDs?" She gave it thought. She knew people at the Hero League who made identity cards for the new Awakened. "Well, I can call in a favour for you at the League. When you decide to bring them here, tell me. I will take you to the Hero League HQ for registration."

"Thank you very much for your help." A big smile of relief appeared across his face.

"I am just helping you in registering them. You will have to take care of them, while they live in the Capital City, you know."

"I have already readied their accommodations. The registration was the last problem."

"I doubt it is. How old is the boy you are bringing here?"

"I think he's about sixteen years old."

"Sixteen? Then wouldn't he need to attend high school here? Have you picked one for him?"

"High school?" Shock flashed through his blue eyes. Looks like he hadn't given any thought to that.

"Ray, you live on Cobalt Road, right? I know a few good training schools in that neighbourhood." Thus, a promise was made, that after the midterms they would go school-hunting.

"Thanks for helping to unburden one problem from my shoulders." Ray kept thanking her as they went back to the teacher dorms. As Ray was getting off the elevator on the 4th floor, he turned around and asked.

"Misa, how did you know that I lived on Cobalt Road?"

Misa was instantly flustered. She completely forgot that the only reason she knew this information was that she was investigating Ray.