Chapter 6: Gate of Serpents

The vortex dropped us in the middle of a desert.

"Pfttt!" I spat out the sand that had entered my mouth. Beside me, Mike did the same.

I stood up to brush off the sand from my clothes. I looked at the sky to see where we had entered from, but the sun overhead burnt my eyes.

'Ding'

A status screen popped up in front of me.

=== VRITRA'S PRISON===

Rank: C

"I guess we are in the Dungeon called 'Vritra's Prison'.", I informed Mike.

"How do you know that?"

"Awakened Beings get a small notification regarding the name of a Dungeon. "

"Now let's begin with getting out of this hellish desert."

I started walking in a random direction.

"Wait. Where are you going? Shouldn't we make a plan?" Mike asked desperately, as I began to leave.

"In case you didn't know compasses don't work in Dungeons. And even if it did work, we don't have any information about our current location. So right now, the only action we can take is to keep moving. God knows what kind of monster will come for us if we stay in one place."

Mike gave it a thought but followed me when I started moving. I actually did have some knowledge about the Dungeon. It was vaguely mentioned in the novel what Mikael experienced in the Dungeon, which included constant attacks and a lack of food and water.

I had enough rations to last us for half a year, in my dimensional ring. So what we needed right now was to keep ourselves from being attacked.

We wandered around for hours, finally setting up a tent when the sun completely set. Sci-fi technology really was awesome. I just threw the ball-shaped item on the ground and it instantly inflated into a two-person tent strong enough to fend off at least one C Rank attack. It cost me quite a pretty penny as well.

"Let's eat before retiring for the night.", I said, handing Mike an energy bar and a bottle of water. Since he got tired from walking all day, Mike didn't complain about the food. After the light dinner, the two of us went to sleep. The desert was freezing at night so we huddled under the blanket I had brought.

"A-are you sure nothing will happen during the night?", Mike asked me, trembling.

"Don't worry, I am sure monsters need their sleep too."

After half an hour passed, I quietly slid out of the tent, to make sure that Mike didn't wake up.

I wasn't able to try this in the morning, since Mike was beside me. I kneeled in the sand and placed my hands on the ground.

"Appraisal."

A wave of mana spread from my palms before dissipating into the ground. Immediately, half of my magic was gone from my body. Soon after, a 3D model of the desert was assembled in front of me.

I pinched the model and enlarged it, checking the areas near my location. Directly below us, many D Rank snake monsters were sleeping, hiding from the cold. I guess they were following Mike's and mine scent the entire day.

'Good thing we started moving as soon as we got here. It would have been really dangerous, otherwise.'

I used the map to analyse the desert, which direction the desert was closest to finishing and where the monsters were. After an hour, I went back into the tent and slightly shook Mike awake.