Chapter 8: The Rematch

A few hours later, Mike and I were secretly observing the new forest from behind the dunes. Well, I was the one doing the observation. Mike was checking out his newly found powers. Sometimes, he would let out giggles, like an infant who just found a new toy to play with.

"Wow, Sir Ray. Did you know, 10 kilometres from here, two Red Snakes are fighting."

"No, Mike. I don't have Foresight like you."

Mike kept fidgeting over his status screen, reading it over and over again, still in awe that he had truly Awakened.

Usually Awakened Beings never revealed the contents of their status screen, but Mike recited his own to me, like an unguarded puppy. Not that it mattered much, with me having 'Appraisal'. But this small act spoke loads about how much he trusted me.

"Mr. Ray, what is this other skill that I have? It's called Spirit Master. Do you know what it does?"

"That skill is useless right now." I informed him. His eyes drooped down in sadness, hearing my words.

Spirit Tamer was a very powerful skill but since nobody was able to use it, it was declared useless despite it being S Rank. But what researchers didn't know was that the user needed a Spirit Egg for the skill, the same way a swordsman needed a sword to display his skill. And in a few months, those Eggs would be discovered all around the world.

I planned on grabbing a few good ones before other people found out their true worth, so that I could make it up to Mike . Once the knowledge about the Eggs gets released, the value of even one Egg would be in hundreds of Millions of R.

"Let's talk about your skills later. We got work in front of us."

Our gazes turned back to the forest. 3 Red Snakes were patrolling the area.

"Mike, can you check how many monsters are inside the forest?"

Mike zoned out, in the forest's direction.

"Hmm, there are about 15 Red Snakes with Vritra in the middle of them. But, Mr. Ray, there is something. The crack on Vritra's horn that you attacked , it's gone."

"Looks like Vritra has a healing ability."

Well, I already expected this to happen. Vritra's regeneration was one of the reasons why Mikael spent many months in the Dungeon. Whenever he was close to defeating Vritra, it would run away, later coming back completely new. It must also be the reason, why it hadn't attacked us yet, since he was still healing.

I turned towards Mike.

"Listen, here's the plan. I want you to stay here and release your Aura, while I go and infiltrate the forest. The small fry would come and attack you, allowing me to attack Vritra."

En route to the forest, I had explained to Mike the basics to use mana. He should at least be able to release Aura if not completely able to use the mana. With my Lightning Dagger, he should be safe. The monsters patrolling the area were also only E+ Rank.

I handed him the tent bead.

"If you think you are losing, run inside the tent. It should be able to protect you from a bunch of E Ranks."

Mike nodded as he listened to my instructions. Honestly, I was still worried about letting a 16-year old fight on his own. But since he survived in the novel, I had hope that he would be able to defend himself now.

I quickly sneaked into the forest as soon as the patrolling Red Snakes left. I searched through my map to find Vritra and headed in its direction. Soon I reached the centre of the forest. I hid behind a tree and observed the snakes' nest. Vritra was curled up in the centre. Surrounding it were multiple Red Snakes, each of them being much bigger than the ones Mike fought and the ones that were patrolling around. They slithered about, determined to protect their master.