Chapter 16: The Woods Beyond

I woke up to find a yellow scaly face looking at me. I blinked at Deus, sitting on my chest, and slowly rose on the bed.

"What are you doing on top of me?" I asked, petting his rough head. He was nowhere similar to a puppy, but Deus still looked cute in his own reptile way.

"You seemed to be having a nightmare. Guess the Fayde did a number on you." He had a look of concern on his face.

"Don't worry. I buried that memory a long time ago. It will get better soon."

I got up from my bed to freshen up in the bathroom. Deus slithered off me and went out of the room. After washing up my face, I went to the dining room. Jacob was behind the kitchen counter.

"Good morning, Ray." Jacob greeted me as he set up a plate of sandwiches in front of me.

"I have to say, you are an excellent cook." I praised his skills as I bit into the bread.

I had been eating his food for two days now. When I first tasted his dishes, I regretted it so much for not staying back at his church that I almost began to wrack my brain for any time travelling Artifacts.

I just have to say that Jacob's cooking skills were out of this world. I won't be surprised if he turned out to be the retired owner of a three Michelin stars restaurant.

As I ate my sandwiches, I could see Mike practicing in the garden. The house didn't have any training facility, so he was left to practice his swordsmanship in the large garden and doing an occasional swim in the pool. Beside him, Deus was giving out instructions on how to better his posture and slashes. For a being with no appendages, he knew quite a lot about swordsmanship.

As I finished my meal, Mike and Deus came in.

"Ah, great timing. Deus, come on." At my command, Deus slithered up my leg and wrapped himself around my right arm.

"Ray, are you going somewhere?" Jacob asked as he took away my empty plate.

"Deus and I are gonna go do some training of our own." I replied. "I might not be back for a few days, but you can ask Miranda if you need anything."

The Miranda I had just mentioned, was a sweet lady in her early 50s and the caretaker of my mansion. She used to come twice a week to clean the house and restock the fridge, but now that I had people living in this previously empty mansion, I had asked her to come every alternate day, which she was more than glad to do.

"All right, you take care."

"But, wait. What about my training?" Mike asked me.

"You just work on your mana control for now. When I get back, I will give you some proper training." I promised Mike before I left the mansion.

The Academy had been kind enough to give me a holiday since I got injured protecting the students. I wasn't gonna waste this precious time cramped in my room. Especially since I knew about the disasters that were going to shatter the fragile peace of Earth very soon.

I also needed to get Mike a new Spirit Egg, so he can begin his Spiritualist training soon. I didn't remember the locations of any Spirit Eggs, but I remembered that in the early parts of the novel they were all found in Dungeons outside the cities. Since not many people knew of their existence till now except for the handful of Heroes who defeated the Boss monsters of the Dungeons outside the city, I would surely find a few good ones.

We took a subway to get to the outskirts of the Capital City. I soon found myself at the northern edge of the barrier that protected the city. The residents of Capital City were kept safe from the monsters by a single thick translucent wall of mana that was in front of me. This area was deserted, consisting only of trees since nobody wanted to live anywhere close to the barrier, because of the danger that monsters would attack this area first if the barrier failed to function.