Chapter 18: The Snow Forest

THE SNOW FOREST Rank: C

The pop-up screen notified our entrance.

Beautiful!

That was the first word that pooped into my mind when I came out of Dungeon Gate.

The cave I had walked into, opened up on another mountain, covered in snow. The mountain faced a beautiful forest, its branches, blanketed with snow, glistened in the sunlight, like a silver veil. I focused my eyes but I still wasn't able to see the end of the woodland.

After appreciating the beauty for a while, Deus asked me. "Shouldn't you be worried about what the mercenary group told us? We could be attacked any time."

"Don't worry about it. We have the Map at our disposal." I reassured him. "Even the best stealth skills are useless in front of it."

I took out a Mana Potion and gulped it down. My mana pool had been a bit empty since I used the Map to find the Dungeon's location, but I could feel it slowly filling up.

I focused the mana in my eyes.

'Appraisal.'

Immediately the map of the Dungeon began materialising in front of me. Unfortunately, my mana pool received another hit. I had to down another Potion since this Appraisal took more mana than I expected. This Dungeon must be bigger than I thought.

Deus and I began analysing the map. The woods seemed to be teeming with monsters. Snow wolves, Ice Falcons, Yetis, and many other manners of dangerous creatures lurked in it.

Whoever said, 'Beauty Can Kill.' was certainly not wrong.

"I have looked up this entire mountain's monster population, but none of the creatures here seem to have the strength to be able to injure that group. Whatever attacked them, must be in the forest below us." Deus informed me.

"Well then, I guess we'll wait for them to come to us."

"Just to be safe, we should split up. That way we call for help, if one of us gets attacked."

"Sure."

Stating the plan, Deus transformed into a Falcon and flew away. I started to leisurely make my way down the mountain. The hike down was quite serene. Despite the map's warnings, no monsters attacked me.

The wolves and bears that I encountered just stared at me from a distance. There were mostly E+ Ranks with a few D Ranks.

After half an hour of hiking, I finally arrived at the foot of the mountain.

'Deus, did you find anything yet?'

'Nothing. Except for a few Ice Falcons giving me a stinky eye, nothing suspicious.'

I wanted to ask what kind of expressions did falcons make to give stinky eyes, but I reined in my curiosity.

'Well, keep a lookout. I am entering the forest now.'

I stretched my leg muscles a bit and then began my dash through the forest. My C+ Rank's speed was nothing to scoff at, especially after all that Spartan training I had to do under Misa. I could reach high speeds as easily as walking even without a Speed Potion.

The forest looked even more beautiful from the ground. Fir trees, covered up in snow, lined my path. Trails of frozen droplets hung from their branches like vines. When I struck them lightly, they rang out like a beautiful orchestra presenting its piece.

As I darted between the trees, the monsters ran away upon sensing my Aura.

"Woosh"

Suddenly a huge alert notification screen popped up in front of me.