Chapter 17: Nightmare At Star Academy

Misa was drowning in paperwork for the past week. The recent attack during the midterms had the media buzzing on the Academy grounds like flies. Parents were storming the office, demanding how the most prestigious Academy for future Heroes could have such lax security. The situation had worsened so much that the Principal had to hold a press conference on how they were doing their best to find the culprits.

Since Misa was one of the best Heroes at the Academy and had a lot of respect from the public, she was made to be the official head of the investigation. She had already pulled several all-nighters going through the video footage of the artificial Dungeon. Their original purpose was to monitor student performance so they can be evaluated appropriately, but she and her team were now using it to find clues on the culprit.

There were many monsters in the Dungeon that were originally supposed to be training dummies but had been replaced with real ones. Even a swarm of Faydes had found their way inside, which caused another set of headaches since you needed a very high mental resistance to counter them. Even the best Heroes have fallen prey to their mind attacks.

There was one more strange thing that happened during the match. Many eyewitnesses confirmed that they had seen a peculiar flaming bird during the attack, but when Misa went through the footage, she couldn't find anything. She had replayed the video many times, but there was nothing there. But since there were quite a high number of witnesses, she couldn't discard it as a case of a panic attack.

"Find the bird. Whoever owns it, could be our culprit." She ordered her subordinates.

A teacher came rushing to her.

"Ms. Misa. We got another victim." He came rushing to her, showing her a tablet.

On the tablet, it played a video of a female student. A ghoulish woman had cornered the student in the restroom. The two were surrounded by a thick black fog, obstructing the view of the camera. Once the fog cleared, the monster was nowhere to be seen, and the girl was trembling on the floor.

"Some of the Faydes must have escaped the artificial Dungeon and are now haunting the Star Academy. This is already the third student we found today. Including the victims from the exam, there are already nine students who have been attacked." The teacher informed her.

One of the teachers, James Lanton, who was listening in on the conversation, stepped in.

"If you allow me, I will gladly kill the infiltrating monsters."

"Thank you for your offer, James, but your position is that of a Tanker. You guys don't really have the best mental defences. I need a mage like myself or at least a Scholar with significant mental power so that I can have someone track down the monsters."

"Haa. Scholar? Wasn't that Ray supposed to be one of the best Scholars? He was the first teacher to fall to the Faydes' panic attacks." James mocked his colleague.

"At the time Ray got attacked, no one was aware that Faydes had infiltrated as well. He was just unlucky."

"Oh, please, Misa. There were plenty of teachers out there, yet he was the only one who got attacked so badly? Are you sure he wasn't the one who instigated the attack on himself so that he can gain a sympathy vote and not get suspected?"

"Just what are you implying, James?"

"Oh, come on, Misa, we both know the Laxons are being investigated for secretly being in contact with the Fallen." He whispered lightly to Misa so that the other people in the room couldn't hear it.

"Mr. Lanton. Just because your uncle works in the League and tells you information that hasn't gone public yet, doesn't mean you are allowed to spread baseless rumours." Misa snapped at him.