Chapter 32: The Aftermath

Now that I had finished dealing with Heron, Liliana was left. I didn't know much about Liliana and her relationship with Izzy, but there was one thing I can use to my advantage.
Her declining position among the executives of the Aurum Guild.

I left Heron's floor and arrived at the third floor, where Liliana's office and living quarters were.
Liliana's floor was quite luxurious, to put it mildly. Various sculptures and jewelled ornaments decorated the entire corridor. I peeked inside one of the rooms, only to find dozens of sparkling dresses displayed inside. Another room was filled with purses, while a third displayed footwear.

'Wow! Liliana is quite materialistic, isn't she?'

Though, seeing this only helped me become confident in executing the plan I had in mind.

Liliana's office door was almost as grand as Heron's. Intricate designs adorned its surface, made by fusing the wood with molten gold.
Even someone with no class like me could see how refined and elegant her taste was.

Today was the second time I knocked on such exquisite doors.

"Who is it this time?" A cranky voice came from behind the door. As I took a step inside, a strong scent drifted past my nose. Its owner was sitting on a throne that looked like something Queen Cleopatra would sit on while ordering her subjects.

"It's you!" A frown appeared on Liliana's face when she saw who had entered her office. "Are you here to apologise?"

"Apologise? Why would I be here to apologise to you?" I asked her in confusion, as I took a seat opposite her.

"Such a shameless child. Didn't you lie to me in the garden? Apologise for lying to your mother." Seeing her display such arrogance on that stupid throne left me speechless for a moment.

"Wow, a bystander would think that you are graciously forgiving me for some heinous crime I had committed against you."

"Lying to your mother is a crime."

"You were going to hit Izzy just for wearing jeans to a party."

Liliana slammed her knuckle on her desk. "Do you think any respectable family would accept her if she keeps behaving like the vulgar little thing she is?"

"Are you actually going to get her engaged?" I looked at her in shock.

"Of course, not right now." Liliana scoffed at me. I sighed in relief, but her next words repulsed me to the core. "I will get her engaged when she Awakens. Nobody is gonna take a useless girl, much less an indecent little thing like Isabella."

She noticed my gaze toward her. "What? I have started losing my influence among the board members. The best that girl can do for me is to help me make ties with another well-reputed Guild and increase my influence."

I had so many things I wanted to say to this woman, but I remembered how Liliana treated Izzy during the banquet.
I am sure any criticism I give to the woman in front of me, she would take it with a grain of salt.
Not to mention, if I anger her, she might refuse to let go of Izzy.

'I can't let her stay with this family when they are fated to be executed.'

"You do realise whatever you are planning is bound to fail, right?" I revealed it to her.

"Fail? Why would it?" Suspicious eyes glared in my direction.

"Don't you know how bad the rumours are about the Guild? People are saying we might be associated with the Chaos Alliance!"

"Those are just rumours." Liliana became defensive. "The Aurum Guild is still powerful."

'Hmm. Judging from her reaction, it seems she has thought about this too. I just need to push her a bit...'