Chapter 9: Back To The Island

In an hour, the boat took us back to Venezia Island. As we entered the Island's waterways, I could see the snakes slithering out of the streets. With their leader gone, they were now scurrying away in hiding. We docked outside the Church. Father Jacob and the other townsfolk came out to see what was happening to the streets.

"Hey, Father.", I waved at the old priest.

"Oh, Sir Ray? Have you closed the Dungeon already?"

I nodded at him, flashing him a smile. "I promised you, didn't I?"

Hearing my words, all the townspeople started to cheer. A few of them came forward and started to thank me. Since this was my first time being the target of praise of such a big crowd, I just gave them an awkward smile in response.

"Please Sir, come in.", Father Jacob invited me into the church seeing my awkward state. I followed him into his office with Mike.

Behind me, I could hear some boat engines running. The townspeople were probably going back to their residences now, though it will take a few days for them to resume their daily lives again.

"We thank you for helping us, Sir Ray. The town is grateful for all you have done."

"It's okay. There was-"

"Father, you won't believe it. I Awakened.", Mike cut me off.

Father turned towards Mike in surprise. "Oh Lord, that's so amazing, Mike. I am sure your father will be very proud of you."

After a moment, he spoke up, "Mike, would you mind waiting outside for a moment? I have something important I need to talk to Sir Ray here."

Mike obediently left the room. I kind of knew where this conservation was going to head.

"Sir Ray, I hate to impose on you again, but may I ask you for another favour?", Father began nervously.

"I suppose you want me to take Mike with me to the Human Continent?", I voiced his thoughts for him.

"I am very sorry about this. The islanders aren't really fond of Mike. I try to help him as much as I can but even I am reaching my limits considering my old age. Now that Mike has got such a wonderful opportunity in front of him as an Awakened, I would hate for him to waste it on such a small island."

The door burst open and Mike marched in. "Father, if I go to the Human Continent, you need to come with me."

"Mike, we shouldn't burden Sir Ray too much. A pass for the portal to the Human Continent is very expensive. And I don't want you to miss such an opportunity for an old man like me."

"But Father..."

"Can I add something to this.", I interrupted them. "Father, I am in no way lacking in finances to not be able to teleport two people to the Continent. Not to mention, right now I only have one Return Marble with me. So forget yourself, I won't be able to take Mike with me either. And Mike, I was always going to bring you with me to the Human Continent. You have too much potential to leave you on this small island."

"But, Father-"

He started but I shushed him with a finger to my lips. "Shush!"

"Father, I will need at least a month to arrange for proper accommodations for Mike. Also, since I am a Professor, I reside in the Academy dorms, so I would need someone to look after Mike in his new residence. It will be helpful if it's someone he's familiar with."

"All right, Sir Ray, I would take you up on your offer.", Father finally gave up.

I could see he held a lot of affection for his ward. He would have given up on his stubbornness sooner or later.