Chapter 26: The Deadliest Flower Blooms

It was a little more than 7 decades ago when the Elven civilization had to leave their planet 'Evergarden' due to the war with the demons engulfing their entire world. Facing such humiliation, the entire race was forced to relocate to a faraway planet.

When the infant Amara escaped her war-stricken planet, she swore that one day she would return to the frontlines and fight for her home. She trained for many years, and was finally able to join The Grey Owls, the knight order of Moonlit Elves, as its youngest member ever.
Her dream was to climb up the ranks in the order and then make a request to be drafted back to Evergarden. For that dream, she had committed all her missions flawlessly.

But seeing the monster in front of her, that flawless record of her seemed to be the least of her worries.

A frighteningly strong Aura was slowly pressuring down on her. The temperature of their surroundings had risen by at least a hundred degrees, and perspiration clung to her chin, afraid to fall off lest it gets evaporated by the fierce heat.

The human, who was wearing strangely loose clothing and wooden sandals, had just moments ago seemed like a joke of an A-rank. But now, he exuded such raw terror, like a volcano ready to explode and those nearby were merely awaiting their fate.

Amara and her companion Elmar could do little than just shiver in their spots.

"Oh my! Did my Aura scare you?" The human slowly moved towards them, a crescent smile curved up his oval-shaped face. "I had children with me before, so I was trying not to scare them."

With the cheerful smile plastered on his face, he looked like a wolf cutely looking at the sheep who innocently came to be eaten. He gently raised his hand towards her chin and stared deeply into her eyes. An average passer-by would have mistaken it as an act of romance, but her mana-sensitive eyes did not miss the intent behind the action. The human had placed a fire spell on her, likely an explosive one, that could be detonated whenever he wished.

"Be here when I return, or else..." Whispering the threat, he vanished from the spot.

As the intense Aura disappeared, the strength in their knees vanished as well, and the two fell to the ground.

"Wheeze-Wheeze!" Elmar hyperventilated beside her. Her hand immediately went to her forehead. An invisible seal was placed on it, but she could still sense the vast amounts of fire mana compressed in that tiny space. Looks like she had been taken hostage now.

"Haa. It's over. If the League takes me now, I will never be able to go back to the Forest."

If Lady Nyra or Lord Max had been caught, they could have returned safely, since they both come from influential families among the Forest Folks. But nobody would care about Elmar and her, since they were merely orphaned soldiers. Disposable pawns for the bigger game. Her dream to go back to Evergarden is over now.

'Let's just hope Lady Nyra doesn't have to face that monster.'

Ever since she was young, the older warrior Elves who had encountered humans, always recounted how pathetically weak they were, and could be defeated by even Unawakened Elves.

But, those idiots were so wrong. Humans had gotten strong. Frighteningly fast.

The only thing left was to pray to the Lunar Mother for safety in the near future.

"Glug! Glug!"

Evva and I desperately fought, as the river took us further away from the attacker. Unfortunately, since the river was a part of the Dungeon, it didn't have any plans to go easy on the two. Every single current of the river was out to drown them, and it took all my strength just to stay afloat.