Chapter 27: The League Headquarters

At the moment, Evva, Luca, and I were waiting at the Dungeon exit.

As Kazuya had said, a portal had indeed opened up in the vicinity of the defeated Boss, though it was located in quite a well-hidden spot. Kazuya instructed us to wait at its location while he went to fetch the detained Elf.

'Man, I can't believe how natural a liar you are. You lied to that kid with such a straight face, even I was convinced.' Deus kept ridiculing me, bombarding my head with criticism.

'Is this some side effect of being stuck in a strange cocoon for so long?' I was seriously rethinking my decision to free him. I looked to my side, where the sun-coloured snake had curled up around the dichromatic Egg.

'Well, because of him I was able to keep the Egg without Kazuya finding out about it, so let's just bear his comments for now.'

I remembered what a close call it had been, back during the fight between Kazuya and the two Beastmen.

The glowing crimson petals were still fluttering around, slowly covering up the entire swamp.

I couldn't even understand how he could use magic, despite the Spirit Field in effect.

'Appraisal!'

Yin Yang Spirit Field

Magical Law in Effect: "In the balance of yin and yang lies the power to create, to transform, and to achieve true harmony."

The Law enforces the balance of yin and yang energy within its area of control. Since the swamp is abundant in Yin energy (Water and Earth), Yang energy (Fire and Air elements) is needed to balance it out. No other form of mana can be used.

Caution: The Law would prevent further disruptions from taking place, so unless the exerted mana is able to balance out the energy completely in a region, no spell would activate.

'Hmm. Why didn't I get this information before?'

The way to bypass the Law placed was to analyse the mana quality in the region and release an exact amount of your mana to neutralise it. Doing this not only required having excellent Mana Perception but also Fine Mana Control and a tremendous mana pool.

It was something only possible for a High Ranker like Kazuya.

But what I found weird was the fact that although having that information might not have helped me in any way, as I didn't have the particular skill set, why didn't Appraisal give me the information before? And if it didn't, why did it give me the information now?

But before I could dwell on it more, a loud howl pierced my ears. No, rather than my ears, the scream was directly transmitted into my head. I immediately understood who it was.

'DEUS!'

I quickly began to look for my kidnapped pet. Soon, I found his weird cocoon lying lodged in the mud, magical fire burning it from one side. Kazuya's incandescent storm must have flung it away.

'Master! Help me. It's hot!' Deus sobbed in my mind.

I tried to stomp out the fire, but probably because its fuel was Kazuya's huge mana reserves and not oxygen, but it didn't seem to work. Thankfully, the fire had started to burn through the cocoon threads, so I just tore them off.

With its prison now gone, Deus wrapped his wings around me, sobbing. "Whimper! I thought you were going to leave with those scary Beastmen."

"It's all right. I will never leave you." I patted Deus on his head, comforting him.