Chapter 40 - An Unexpected Past

Two weeks and one more panic attack later, Ryder was discharged from the hospital.

His doctor initially wanted to keep him under observation for longer, but...

"We both know that my staying here is not going to delay the inevitable. The least you can do is let me spend my final days at home." Ryder was stubborn about going back home. He initially didn't plan to guilt trip his doctor, but she was reluctant to sign the discharge papers.

"Fine! I will allow you to leave. But make sure that you take the painkillers I am prescribing to you." The doctor warned him. "I know you think that those meds don't work, but trust me the pain will be a lot worse without them."

"I'll think about that." He gave a vague reply.

And with that, Ryder found himself back at home.

"It's good to see you are finally back." Rachel greeted him at the door.

"There's no way I am going to spend my last days in that crummy room." Ryder grinned at his newfound freedom. Rachel, on the other hand, sighed at her brother's carefree attitude toward his own death. But Rufus had reminded her not to mention anything about the illness to Ryder, so she pushed her words down her throat.

Instead... "Your doctor called me to let me know to make sure that you take your meds on time."

"Oh, don't worry! I will make sure to take them." Ryder answered, already prepared to trash them in a corner of his room.

"Hand them over to me." Rachel squeezed his shoulder. Tightly. Ryder almost felt his shoulder bone crack as Rachel stopped him with her strong archer grip. "Your doctor already told me you weren't taking your meds at all last time. So this time I am gonna make sure you take all of them, even if I have to force your mouth open."

'Gulp!'

"Yes, Mom. I'm okay. Yeah, I am at the Academy right now. No, I am not sneaking out, Mom." Miyu answered her mom's questions on the phone.

Ever since the Fallen's attack on the Apex Plaza, Touri had been asking her daughter for constant updates on her situation.

"Wow, Miyu! You must be seriously traumatized from the incident. Are you feeling okay? Should I bring you some soup? Maybe even blow on it. " Ophelia teased her friend, speaking in a super concerned tone.

"Shut it!" Miyu tried to block her friend's mouth but Ophelia just dodged it.

Noticing her friend's lack of playfulness, Ophelia asked curiously. "You seem kind of down. Is something the problem?"

"Well, I am glad my mom is keeping in touch with me, but she should worry more about herself. The League is under immense pressure from all the recent events."

Hearing the mention of the League, Ophelia's ears perked up. "Events? What happened?"

Miyu scratched her head, wondering if she should reveal it to her friend. Her voice sharply decreased as she responded, "I am not supposed to know this, but it seems The League captured a spy in the northern forest. That's why the League is in an uproar."

"A spy!!" Ophelia pretended to be shocked at this information. "Did they find out where the spy come from?"

"No idea. But there are talks of moving the prisoner soon."

"So, they are already planning to move her..." Ophelia mumbled under her breath.

"Did you say something, Ophy?"

"Ah, no. Nothing." Ophelia snapped out of her thoughts. "So the spy..."

"Enough about the spy! Let's focus on the Competition now. " Miyu changed the subject as the two of them made their way into The Academy Coliseum. "I am sad Kyla isn't here with us. Well, we can't do anything if her family called her back home so urgently. Ophy, aren't you and Kyla from the same hometown?"