Chapter 20: Prehistory In A Modern Fantasy

I woke up in the middle of a rainforest. Huge dense trees blocked the sky above me, only allowing entry to a few rays of sunlight to illuminate the damp forest floor. My body was aching everywhere from the high fall, though luckily it looks like I didn't break anything. I slowly stood up to check my surroundings. Deus was nowhere in sight. Neither were the two beastmen.

'Hey, Deus. Where are you?' I called out to him telepathically but there was no response. I tried using the tattoo on my finger to summon him, but there was still no connection. This was worrying. Let's just hope nothing bad happened to him.

I looked around me.

'Huh!' I sighed. Who was I to worry about him. I was in a tropical forest, and my sword was nowhere in sight. Even if this wasn't a fantasy world, I knew how dangerous it was to be in a jungle, weapon less.

'Snap' The sound of a twig snapping came from behind me. Ever since I had started training my Perception, my senses had heightened a lot, letting me hear sounds from quite far away. I could tell whatever the sound was, it was approaching towards me quite quickly.

Immediately, I raised my hands in its direction, as a means of self-defence. I summoned Earth mana to create a barrier in front of me.

Just at that moment, a creature lunged at me from behind the trees. Its sharp teeth bounced back but the shield wasn't completed, and a large claw scratched my arm. I pushed the monster away, and it screeched at me.

As I observed my attacker, I noticed it had the features of a dinosaur, with reptile-green skin and was about 6 feet long.

'Ding' A notification screen popped up in front of me.

JURASSIC PARK Rank: C

A Hidden Dungeon connected to the C Rank Dungeon 'Snow Forest'

Ignoring the Dungeon notification in front of me, I just stared at the specimen in fear and wonder. Dinosaurs were a species that had long gone extinct in my previous world. And even without the enhancements of mana, they were still concluded to be one of the most savage predators of our world. If they had been turned into monsters in this world, just how ferocious are they going to be?

"Screek" A scream brought me out of my admiration. In front of me were similar monsters snarling their fangs in my direction. Looks like the dinosaur brought its entire pack with him. There were now a total of five dinos getting ready to attack me.

'Appraisal.'

Name: Velociraptor

Rank: D+

Strength 4

Stamina 4.9

Agility 5.3

Perception 5.6

This monster is known for its speed and strong teeth and talons, powerful enough to crush rocks.

Weakness: Attacking the back of its knees can immobilise it.

Knowing about the weakness was useless in this case. It would be too difficult for me to hit the back of its knees with so many of them attacking me.

So I decided to take the easy way out. I began running in the opposite direction and began to climb up the nearest tree. The velociraptors snarled below me. Unfortunately the monsters had strong leg muscles and two of them began to climb up after me. Taking advantage of my light weight and superior Agility, I quickly reached the top branch.