Chapter 11: Training

I had spent the entire night doing work, so it was no wonder I greeted my morning at 11 AM.

I opened my eyes to the warm rays of the sun, the gentle waves of the sea, and the eyes of a golden snake, staring at me from above my chest.

In my previous life, I would have been shocked to open my eyes to such a scene, but considering what I had gone through in that Dungeon, my threshold for fear had gone through some major changes. Guess I was slowly assimilating into this world.

But it was shocking, nonetheless, to wake up to a snake in the morning.

"Can you change into another animal, like a puppy or something?" I asked out of curiosity. I remembered Arcadeus' special ability from the novel. It was also the main reason why I decided to choose him.

"Well, I am the Formless Spirit. Whenever I go up a new Rank, a new form is added to my arsenal."

"How far are you from the D Rank?"

"I am pretty close to it. But before that, can you give me something to eat? I am hungry."

I took out another two corpses, before going to freshen up in the washroom. When I returned, the bodies were gone, leaving behind a very swollen snake.

'What a glutton!'

I left the room and went down to get some sustenance. Miss Maria's daughter, whose name I learned was Jasmine, greeted me.

"You slept in today, Mr. Ray."

"I was up all night doing work." I explained. "Can I get something to eat?"

"Well, we usually stop serving breakfast by 10, but for you, I can make an exception." She said with a shy smile.

Jasmine went into the kitchen and a few minutes later came out with toast and eggs, along with a cup of espresso. While I ate my breakfast, Jasmine took a cloth and started to clean the tables. I could feel her stealing glances at me from the corner of her eye.

Ray seemed quite popular with his handsome face and good physique. What a surprise that such a good-looking man was still an amateur in the love department. Too bad, I didn't have his looks in my previous life. I could have become a model or maybe even an actor.

Ignoring Jasmine's glances, I focused on the scenery. The waters were waving outside the windows and I felt quite relaxed. I could understand why Father Jacob said this was the best lodge to stay at. It was a good place to relax, if not for the recent monster invasion.

After having breakfast I went out to explore the town. The buildings didn't have a lot of damage since all the monsters stayed in the waterways. A few broken boats were drifting here and there, but otherwise, it was all good. Many people were floating in gondolas, selling all kinds of stuff. Most of them were packing up their wares, which mostly consisted of the leftover fish and other types of seafood that had been caught and brought early in the morning.

As I walked on the side paths, many of these drifting residents stared at me, but none of them approached me, a treatment quite familiar to me now. Not that I complained. The only reason I came here was because of the Dungeon, and now Mike. I will probably never see the people here again and thus, didn't feel the need to befriend any of them.

During breakfast, I asked Jasmine about Mike, and I realised why he was antagonised so much.

According to her, a few years back another Dungeon had opened up in the area. At that time, Mikael's father, Mark, used to tell people that he knew someone in the Hero League, so when the Dungeon opened the people asked Mark for help. But after waiting for many weeks, no help came, and finally, the island citizens had to close the Dungeon themselves. The Dungeon may have been a weak E Rank, but the damage to the town was still a lot. The people started blaming this on Mark and forced him out of the town to the edge of the island along with his infant son, where he died years later.