Chapter 28: Yin and Yang

The sun was already setting, by the time the car rolled up into the driveway of my house. Hearing the unfamiliar noise, Jacob came out. He slowly walked towards me as I got out.

"Welcome back." He greeted me.

"It's good to be back. Did you see Deus yet?"

"He came back a couple of hours ago." Jacob informed me.

When I entered my house, Mike welcomed me.

"Mike, I have a gift for you. Let me freshen up first, then I will give it to you."

When I came back from my room, having taken a hot shower, Mike and Jacob, were already sitting at the dining table. He was fidgeting a lot, excitement sparkling in his eyes as he pondered about his gift.

Deus slithered to my side as I took the Spirit Egg and placed it at the centre of the round table.

"Um, what is this?" Mike stared at the dichromatic Orb in confusion.

"Mike, do you remember what your Skill is? Aside from Foresight?"

"Of course! It's some S Rank Skill called Spirit Master." Suddenly his eyes drooped like a puppy in the rain. "But I heard, it's a useless Skill, despite its high Rank."

'Hmm? That's weird! I never told him anything much about the skill. How did he find out about the public opinion of Spirit Master? Did someone tell him? Anyway...'

"It's true that society deems this particular Skill to be useless. But that's only because they haven't seen its true potential yet." I explained to him and pointed toward the Egg. "This Egg is the main part of your Skill."

"That Egg?" The confusion deepened in Mike's eyes.

"You know my friend Deus, right? He came out of an Egg like that."

"Wait, so will I get a pet like Deus?"

"Well, a pet is a bit..." I was gonna refute, but seeing Mike's sparkling eyes over a prospective companion, I shut my mouth. "Yes! You will get a pet!"

"What? A pet? We are more honour-" Deus tried to argue, but I clamped his mouth.

But the ban on his mouth did little to dampen his fury. 'How can you say that about me! We Spirits take pride in our species.'

'Of course, I know how strong you guys are. But at this point, it will be better to show him what you can do rather than explain it.' I calmly explained to him.

"Mike, why don't you inject some of your mana into the Egg." I instructed him.

"Oh! Okay!" He stared at the Egg in nervousness. He gently placed his hand on top of the Egg. A warm glow emitted from his hand before sinking into the Egg.

'Crack!' Immediately Mike retracted his hand in fear. I gave him a look of reassurance, as four pairs of eyes stared at the Egg, slowly hatching to life.

The shell was slowly pushed away, and a small snow-white paw emerged out of the Egg.

As more of the shell began to fall apart, a baby fox slowly tumbled out. As we adored the white furball, a squeak came out of the Egg. A black snout pushed out, searching for its twin. The baby fox slowly tumbled out, making its way toward us with its clumsy steps.

Deus came forward to examine the two new Spirits.

'Wow! Mike lucked out on the Spirit Department. Two Spirits in a single Egg. That's extremely rare.'

As Deus examined the two newborns, they, in turn, cooed over Deus' shimmering golden scales.

'Hey Deus, why aren't these two talking?' I remembered how Deus started speaking the moment he hatched.