Chapter 38: More Hidden Identities

As Touri prepared herself for her decision, Ophelia continued her countdown.

As the third finger was raised, a spark lit the tip of Touri's hand-fan, but before the fire could follow its wild nature, an irregularity descended upon the mall.

"Seriously, you could have used that Skill much earlier." Kyla complained as she walked into the plaza, which was full of statues.

She waved her hand in front of The Fallen, expecting he might react. "Wow, I have seen you use this Skill many times, but it still creeps me out so much. It's scary that you can just turn us into frozen statues whenever you want and we will never even know."

"They aren't statues. I just froze them in time." Ophelia corrected her partner. "Anyway, where were you and Miyu when all this commotion was happening?"

"Oh, we were there!" Kyla pointed to the first floor, where a frozen Miyu stood, staring in horror as her mom fought against the B-Rank villain.

"It would have been good if you could have come to help." Ophelia pouted.

"There's nothing I'd love more than a fight against those Demons. But when fighting a B-Rank villain, even I would have to reveal my true form. The High Queen will kill us if that happens, especially with the recent fights that happened between the Forest and the Continent." Kyla explained.

"Speak for yourself. There is nothing that Camelia could do that can scare me." Ophelia boasted.

"You may say that but you still won't want to disappoint your godmother, now would you?" Kyla teased her friend. Everyone saw her as a really smart and mature girl, but Ophelia had her cases of childishness, which only those close to her could ever see. Kyla was always proud that she could be one of the special people.

"Enough chit-chat. Let's get to work now." Ophelia's strict voice snapped Kyla out of her mischief. "Kyla, take Ryder and put him somewhere safe. And check if Rachel is breathing. We should administer her some Healing Potions just in case."

"Should I punch this guy, just in case?" Kyla asked, pointing at the Fallen who was holding Ryder hostages.

"No. We can't change a lot of things inside the timestop. Aunt Touri will question it if the guy she was attacking suddenly got beat up." Ophelia explained.

"Fine, let's do it." Kyla quickly followed her friend's instructions. She grabbed Ryder and quickly placed him in a corner. She made sure to check for debris nearby, so he could be comfortable.

"Poor guy. He's already suffering from the Curse and now he has to go through this." Kyla pitied the unconscious Ryder. She turned to Ophelia. "Don't you think we should just give him a painless death? He will suffer less that way."

"Even if he does, that's a choice he will have to make himself. We can decide whether someone chooses to live or end his life." Ophelia replied, acknowledging the complexity of such a decision.

Kyla gave Ryder a final glance, before leaving to help his sister.

Ophelia looked down to check his condition. Dark veins were already crawling from his heart to the rest of his body. The Fallen might have accelerated the spreading of the Curse, but Ryder must have still been in excruciating pain, long before coming to the mall today.

'I wonder if what Kyla said is right.' Ophelia questioned what she had just said moments ago. 'If nothing else, he has already made a commendable achievement, being able to endure this much.'

"Alright, I'm done here!" Kyla announced.

"Well then, let's lift the spell now." And with a snap of Ophelia's fingers, time once again began to flow for those inside the mall.