Chapter 43: A Wave of Change

Ray was playing with Yuna and Ryu when a loud voice called out to him from the living room.

"Ray Laxon, come out here!" Rufus' loud voice thundered across the entire house. Deus and I ran back inside, frightened by Rufus' temper.

The President looked towering while sitting on the sofa, his posture that of a majestic Egyptian pharaoh on his throne.

When we came in, his eyes darted to Deus. He raised his eyebrow giving me a suspicious look. "I see you have entered into a contract with a Spirit."

I had completely forgotten about hiding Deus from him. "I was lucky enough to come across one during my trip to the Archipelago." I quickly made up an excuse.

Rufus decided to accept my half-baked explanation. "Have a seat!" He nodded towards the couch opposite him, and Deus and I quickly rushed to our seats.

"Are you aware that the Hero League is investigating the Aurum Guild, Mister Laxon?" Rufus got straight to the point. The tension in the air was so strong, a metal coin would have folded in half.

"Y-yes, I am aware." I answered, flustered from the eagle-sharp gaze Rufus was staring at me with.

"Then you are aware that everyone in your family is under investigation!"

I nodded again.

"Can I ask how you were able to obtain something this rare without any one of your investigators finding out? "

Hearing his suspecting tone, I knew this was my chance. My answer now would decide whether Rufus would spare me as his grandson's savior or execute me as a criminal.

"I developed the cure myself." I spoke out the truth.

Lying and saying that I found the cure in a Dungeon would have been more believable. But if Rufus asked me follow-up questions about the Dungeon, there was no way I wouldn't have messed up. Rufus was the President of the Hero League. He knew all the Dungeons that has ever been discovered on the Human Continent. It wouldn't be hard for him to figure out I was lying.

"Did you research with the scientists in the Alliance? Because I am certain that none of the scientists in the League were ever close to finding one."

"I developed it all by myself. I used the resources provided by the Aurum Guild, but I can assure you no help from the Alliance was taken. I am not associated with them either."

"How can I believe you on that?" His eyes were still full of suspicion.

"Because the Demons would never agree on a cure for the Curse being researched on."

"That's true." Rufus' expression instantly softened up on hearing the irrefutable logic. "I am glad that such a great Alchemist is our ally."

'I have been had!' Seeing him so quick to change his tune, I quickly understood that Rufus was never angry. The moment a cure for the Curse had been developed, the Demons would lose their one advantage against other races. So there is no way that someone who used such a cure on the President's grandson would ever work for the Alliance. He just wanted to know how its source, which was why he was intimidating me to find some answers.

Next, something shocking happened. Rufus got down on his knees.

The person who had reached the peak of all humanity was on his knees. For me.

I quickly got up in shock.

But the words that came out were completely unexpected. "As a grandfather, I am in debt to you for saving my grandson. Thank you! Thank you very much."