Chapter 35: The Life of The Cursed

Ryder awoke drenched in sweat, his body gripped by the familiar, agonizing pain.

It felt as though a vortex fought to escape from within him while a boa constrictor coiled tighter and tighter around his being.

There were pain meds on the table beside but he just pushed them to the ground. He knew better than anyone that those pills couldn't help him.

Flashbacks of yesterday's appointment flashed in his mind.

"Ryder, your test results aren't very promising. At this rate, I am afraid you might not even make it past this month!" The doctor delivered the news with sad eyes.

"I understand." Ryder replied, his face as emotionless as they had been ever since they started their treatments. There must have always been a lingering doubt in the young boy's mind that he was beyond saving.

The doctor found herself helpless in front of the boy who seemed to accept his fate without so much as a fight.

"Ryder, I haven't told your family about your condition, but you should consider informing them soon."

"Will telling them make the pain go away?" He asked with not a hint of change in his expression.

"Well, no! But... " The doctor started, but Ryder interrupted her. "Then I won't be telling anyone about it."

Ryder slowly got up from his bed and made his way to the bathroom to freshen up.

When he got out of his room, their housekeeper and nanny, Emma, was setting up the dining table. His sister was already seated.

The moment their eyes met, Ryder quickly straightened up his aching body and took a seat beside her. He didn't want his sister to notice his affliction.

"Did you take your medicine?" She asked, concern reflecting in her eyes.

"Yeah, I did!" He lied.

"That's good. " She patted his head. "Oh, and since your birthday is coming up in a few weeks, Grandpa suggested we should hold it lavishly. We will invite some celebrities and—"

"Rachel, I don't really want a big party. Can we have a small celebration at our house instead?" Ryder interrupted, shooting down her idea.

Rachel looked a little disappointed but agreed with his suggestion. "Fine, let's do whatever you are comfortable with."

"Don't worry, Young Master Ryder. I will make sure to make all your favourite dishes on your birthday." Emma cheerfully chimed in, setting down an omelette and a glass of juice in front of him.

"Thanks, Emma!" He replied with a smile as he took a bite of the omelette.

"So, should I send an invite to Professor Ray next door? I know you are close with that guy Mikael." Rachel asked, her full attention on her brother.

"Huh? Miss, you don't mean Ray Laxon, do you?" Emma interjected, visibly shocked. "Their family has been rumoured to be allying with the Fallen."

Heavy silence descended upon the dining table.

Rachel glanced at Ryder before turning back to Emma. "Don't worry. I spoke to Grandfather and Ray has been cleared of any suspicions, so there is no need to worry about Fallen or anything like that."

She turned back to her brother. "Ryder, why don't you get changed? I was thinking we could go out to do some early birthday shopping for you, and maybe spend some quality time together."

"Sure!" He quickly excused himself from the table and retreated to his room.

"Emma, I know as Ryder's nanny you are just worried about him, but please don't speak anything about the Fallen and Laxons in front of him." Rachel spoke up, once she knew that Ryder was out of earshot.