Chapter 13: The Cursed Boy

Ryder was only 9 years old when his parents were killed right in front of his eyes. The Fallen had spared his life, but in return he had inflicted him with a horrible curse that prevented him from using mana. In the novel, the mana in Ryder's body kept getting built up, unable to escape. It finally exploded on his 17th birthday, taking his life.

His death was quite an emotional scene, which helped the heroine, Rachel, unlock her powers to their full potential and also helped her grow closer to the main character, Rhian.

Though what shocked me more than the horrible backstory was the even more terrifying real life.

I mean, what are the chances that I met the most influential Cursed person in the novel, right after I found a Curse Breaking Potion?

There were so many theories running in my head but I decided to bag them for later.

Just add it to the list of things I would need to check when I get back to the Academy to see my diary.

Noticing me, staring at her brother, Rachel spoke up, "Oh, right, you haven't met. Sir, this is my younger brother Ryder."

"Good to meet you, Ryder. I am Ray Laxon, a Professor at the Star Academy." I introduced myself.

"Laxon? So you are the son of the Aurum Guild's leader."

"Well, that I am."

'Though I won't be for long.' I internally thought to myself.

"So what were you two up to?" I casually asked Rachel.

"We were just going out for lunch."

"Well, then, I don't want to intrude on your family outing."

Saying that we left for our different ways. Rachel seemed quite happy, talking to her brother. Too bad, it won't stay that way for long. As someone who has recently separated from his own family, I could understand how much pain the female lead will have to suffer in the future.

It was almost evening by the time I got back to the Academy. Students were hanging out in the Academy gardens after their daily training. In my office, I took out the diary where I had written down the events of this world. Since I had read the novel long ago, I didn't remember some of the events that didn't have much influence on the story but all the major events were there. There was even a map at the back where I put down all the Dungeons and locations.

Aries had a lot of ideas for Dungeons and other events in the novel. But sadly, he had to select only the best of them to appear in his novel. The rest he left in his 'Idea Book'. Now, I wasn't just an average reader. I had helped my friend during his writer's block quite a lot of times, so Aries allowed me to read through it a few times, and I have to say, the dude was born to be a novelist. Even his ideas had such vivid descriptions that I still remembered them.

So, now I have to check whether this world had factors that were not mentioned in the novel and left buried in the Idea Book. I pulled up a list of all the Dungeons that had been discovered in this world. There was one event I remembered that had not been introduced in the novel.

The Hero League Headquarters Relocation.

In the unrevised set of events, a Dungeon had opened in the building where the Hero League was located. Monsters destroyed the entire building and the organisation was forced to relocate. This event was supposed to have happened a year after the League was established, meaning it was an event that took place decades before the present time, so its existence, or lack of it, would clear all of my suspicions.

I googled up the old Hero League Headquarters in the browser and the web page opened up.

"Hero League: Is it strong enough to represent Humanity?"