Chapter 37: Hidden Identites

"Signs of demonic energy have been detected, so the building will undergo a strict lockdown until the investigation is over. Everyone, this is not a drill..."

'Weird! I didn't sense any demonic energy being used, but the alarms still tripped.'

Whatever the cause, the situation was in his favour, so Rhian decided to ignore the malfunction.

"Wait a second." Rachel suddenly interrupted him.

"What happened?" Rhian quickly turned around, concerned that something was wrong.

"I just had a thought. Now that sensors are tripped, the escape routes must have been severely limited?"

"Yes, they have..." Rhian could easily understand where she was going with this. They needed to determine which locations were still accessible, as those would likely be the paths the Fallen would attempt to use.

They both paused, racking their brains for potential escape routes that the mall lockdown wouldn't properly cover.

"The Artifact Exhibition!" they both exclaimed simultaneously, arriving at the same conclusion.

The Exhibition was taking place on the topmost floor, granting him access to the roof. Not to mention, all the Artifacts that were on display. The Fallen will have a vast array of weapons in his hands.

'Kaboom!'

Suddenly an energy blast erupted from above them. Cracks snaked through the ceiling, as a second blast soon erupted.

"Everyone, please remain calm! Heroes are on their way! I repeat..."

The air became thick with B-Rank Aura, making it difficult for Rachel to even take a step amidst the overwhelming demonic energy. Rhian swiftly grabbed her shoulders to steady her and prevent her from falling.

"Are you okay?", he asked, concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine!" She assured, though still struggling to find her balance. Rhian carefully guided her to a nearby bench, urging her to rest.

"You stay here and rest. I will go and investigate the Fallen." He explained as he helped her.

"That will be too dangerous." Rachel protested, but Rhian was firm.

"Come up, when you are able to move!" He instructed her before darting up the staircase, leaving her behind.

'What is happening?'

Mana coursed through Rhian as he could feel his body being energised by the demonic energy from the blast.

Beside him, Rachel groaned, clearly affected by the blast. He quickly supported her and guided her to a nearby bench. After making sure she was okay, he quickly made his way back to the top floor. As he approached the Exhibition Hall, he could feel the demonic energy fuelling his power.

'Why is my body absorbing Demonic Energy? I am just a normal human, not even a Fallen?' Rhian questioned himself, as he stared at the entrance of the Exhibition. 'Is this because I am Reincarnator?'

Another shockwave shook the building, shaking the foundation of the building. He decided to think about the demonic energy later and went to search the Fallen. Inside the Artifact Exhibition, the security guards were all knocked to the ground.

The auction hosts and attendants had fainted from being exposed to the strong demonic energy. Rhian tiptoed around their bodies, to not step on them. He bent down to check the pulse of some of them. None of them seemed to be in a fatal situation, so he decided to go after the perpetrator for now.