Chapter 7: Awakening

In my dream, I saw my friend, Aries, fussing over the details of the villain 'Mikael Harpoon'. He had busted into my room at dawn, after pulling an all-nighter to create the new character.

'Happy, look, I just made a new villain. He is going to be a Spiritualist. He is gonna be one of the new Classes of Awakened Beings that I have been working on.' His eyes sparkled as he talked about his novel.

I remembered this day very well. The day I made one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

The landscape in front of me slowly faded into another. It was night-time now. Happy was outside the dorm building, trying to call someone on his phone, a look of urgency on his face.

In the distance, a silhouette appeared, slowly limping towards the building. As the person got closer, I could make out his face. It was Aries, his lip was busted and his right eye was slightly swollen.

"Oh my god, what happened to you?", Happy asked his friend, supporting him by his shoulder.

"Ah nothing happened. Just some drunk man got into a fight with me. He got dragged away by the police.", Aries explained, leaning on Happy.

Happy slowly walked Aries to his room, where he gave him first aid.

'I wish I knew you were lying at the time.'

Slowly the scene around me started to fade away. I could sense myself waking up.

I opened my eyes to find the ceiling of the tent. I was covered in blankets, protecting me from the chill of the desert night. Beside me, Mike was hugging his knees.

"You are finally awake."

"I am. Thank you for keeping watch."

I sat up to converse with him.

"Listen, Mike. I am sorry about your town. But honestly, I am too weak to defeat Vritra alone. If I had even one more Awakened Being with me, I could do something. But I am powerless on my own."

"Then, how about we focus on Awakening me? I mean, you already Awakened. You can give me tips."

"Awakening isn't something you can just wish for, and think it will happen. Awakening is something that just happens. Heritage plays a big factor in it too but I doubt your father was one, considering he didn't leave for the Human Continent."

"Please, you must have something.", Mike grabbed my hands. "Our town will be destroyed if you don't do anything about it."

I sighed. Drinking the healing potion before fainting had fixed my body and I could feel myself brimming with mana.

I could use 'Appraisal' on him, but I was hesitating. Using Appraisal on him would clear the doubts I had about this boy, but I still had my concerns. Not to mention, knowing someone would Awaken is not something technology in this world could do. 'Appraisal' was too overpowered a skill for me to use in front of others.

"Please!", Mike begged me.

I gave up. I hadn't spent much time with him, but I really liked this boy. The way his eyes sparkled, talking about Heroes and the Hero League, reminded me of Aries when he talked to me about his novel.

"Fine but what I am about to do, you can't tell this to anyone. And I mean, no one.", I warned him.

Mike nodded his head.

"Appraisal"

Name: Mikael Harpoon

Rank : Unawakened (Awakening: 95%)

==========LOCKED==========

Potential Rank: SS

Suitable Class: Spiritualist