Chapter 38

Thank you everyone for getting this book to 1k reads <3 literally never thought it would get this many when i first randomly published this from my drafts. love you all!

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
Y/n's P.O.V.
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

Ron immediately starts complaining, while Harry and myself gathering our bearings, " 'Follow the spiders'! 'Follow the spiders'! If he ever gets out of Azkaban, I'll kill Hagrid. I mean, what was the point of sending us in there. What have we found out?"

"Hagrid's innocence, is what we found out. He never opened the Chamber of Secrets. Which means we are stuck in the Castle without Dumbledore, with the person who has opened it this time. If Hermione were here, she would know what to do." I state gravely.

Ron and Harry look off sadly towards the Castle.

───────── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ──────────

We ended up at the Infirmary, all of us wordlessly agreeing on where we were going. Madam Pomfry comes out and bars the door.

She tells us sternly, "There's no point in talking to a petrified person. She won't hear a word you're saying.

I clear my throat uncomfortably.

"We know that, Madam Pomfry. Just, well, you see, we thought, maybe, we could...be with her for a bit. She's our...friend, you see, and...even if she can't hear us...I mean it can't hurt can it?" Ron stumbles over his words trying to hold back the emotions that are thick in his voice.

I would tease him about it if I were not feeing the same. A flicker of sympathy flashes in Madam Pomfry's eyes.

She caves in quickly, "Very well then. But be quick about it."

As she exits, we step up to Hermione's bed. Absentmindedly, Ron picks up the mirror on Hermione's bedside table, underneath it is a get well card from Lockhart... Does...Does he know that means nothing because she cannot read it until she is better? How is he such a bloody moron.

"You don't think that Lockhart could be the Heir of Slytherin, do you?" Ron inquires us.

Harry and I give him a bewildered look and he quickly takes back his question, "Right. Forget I said it."

I stare at Hermione's face, she looks so scared. I wish I could have been in her place, she would be more useful than me right now.

Harry studies her face and tells her, "Wish you were here, Hermione. We need you. Now more than ever..."

Just then the sunlight beams bounce off of the mirror Ron's holding and onto Hermione's hand, revealing a paper clutched in her fist.

I pry it from her petrified fingers, and motion for the two to follow me.

I stop at Madam Pomfry and state, "We are done now. I hope you have a wonderful rest of your night, Madam Pomfry."

Continuing past her at a leisurely pace and pick it up once she enters the Infirmary again. I lead them to an empty aclove and we duck into it. Taking out the crinkled paper, I smooth it out, revealing it to be torn from a book. Which is confusing, ruining a book is criminal to Hermione... So why did she ruin one?

Harry reads it out loud for us, " 'Of the many fearsome beasts that roam our land, none is more deadly than the Basilisk. Capable of living for hundreds of years, instant death awaits any who meet this giant serpent's eye. Spiders flee before it and the only the crowing of the rooster can kill it.'
Ron! This is it! The monster in the Chamber of Secrets is a Basilisk. That's why Y/n and I can hear it speak. It's a snake."

I furrow my brows, why was it saying commands to kill...if it is the one doing the killing. Is it speaking to someone? If so...it must be connected to Tom Riddle's diary. He lied about Hagrid to us and tried to convince us he was guilty. Tom Riddle must have opened the Chamber of Secrets fifty years ago, he has been covering his tracks through Hagrid. Whoever had that diary first and ransacked Harry's space to get it, is only a puppet for the Tom Riddle. This puppet for murderous boy, er- I guess man now, is a Gryffindor, which means they could be right beside us and we would not know. But, I already know who it is...

A certain red-haired girl in Gryffindor.

Ron's voice breaks my concentration, "But it kills by looking people in the eye. Why is it no one dead?"

Harry frowns contemplating.

"Because, no one has looked it in the eye. Only through other objects. It was a mirror for Hermione and a camera for that one boy who stalked Harry. The others I an not sure but they are not dead either so it must have been the same way. Any one of them could have been dead, had the Basilisk chosen to kill them. With Dumbledore gone now, it will use this opportunity to finally kill." I answer Ron, with a thoughtful look on my face.

All of us will be safe, from it targeting us since we are all pure or half bloods. But knowing this group, we will most likely be the ones who face off this monster and kill it. So we will be in danger eventually. I need to find out which spells are deadly or at least effective against snakes and since looking at it is a certain death, I must also learn how to use my other senses to compensate for my loss of vision.

Ron and Harry are chatting still connecting more dots on all of the strange occurrences connecting to the creature being a Basilisk while I go over my inner monologue. I hear them as though I am underwater, mumbling about how it's traveling through the piping.

I break out of my thoughts adding on, "That must have been how it killed Moaning Myrtle fifty years ago in the Girl's Bathroom, just like Aragog said someone was killed there."

They look at me in shock of what I said and when it clicks they look at each other in excitement for discovering this.

We jump at, the now Headmaster McGonagall's sudden voice sounding around us, magnified so all of the school can hear her, "All students are to return to their Dormitories at once. All teachers to the Second Floor Corridor. Immediately."

We turn to each in wordless agreement to go and find out what has happened.