16| Torturing Metatron

"The First Blade is back in play and Crowley is the one getting it?" Cass asked as he entered the Bunker.

Dean looked up at Cass in surprise from his seat at the map table in the war room.

"I don't mean to be an alarmist," Cass continued, "but you-"

"Yeah, well, you know us," I cut him off, entering the room from the library holding a beer bottle. "When we screw ourselves we like to go whole hog."

"This would be the Crowley who let Eleanor turn into a demon?" the angel demanded, walking down the stairs to join us.

"I don't have a choice, 'kay?" I snapped. "I don't do this, I'm down the rabbit hole. Hear evil, see evil, do evil. The trifecta."

"Cass, look. Let us worry about this," Dean addressed him. "You've got enough on your plate with Claire."

"Claire is gone."

"Gone where?"

"I don't know, I– I should have stopped her. But I am certain that she is destined for more trouble and disappointment. She is so... so full of rage."

"Listen, Cass, if I could make it better I would," I told him.

"It's actually why I'm here. I was hoping you might reach out to her."

"Me?"

"Yes."

"Seriously," I scoffed, "I'm probably the last person she would wanna hear from."

"I thought there would be a connection. One extremely messed up female to another, you could explain why you murdered her only friend."

"Oh, well, yeah, when you put it like that?" I rolled my eyes.

"All I know," he continued, taking a seat next to Dean, "is she won't talk to me. I thought if she understood the kind of man Randy was, and the danger she was in, she might..."

"What the hell, why not?" I stood up. "Long shots seem to be the theme around here. I'm gonna go make a sandwich."

"I'll, uh- I'll text you her number," Cass pulled out his phone.

"Okay."

"I like texting. Emoticons."

I rolled my eyes again, exiting the room.

Crowley called me, letting me know he had the First Blade and would be holding on to it until we figured out how to remove the Mark. So I headed to room 7B to talk to Metatron without Dean or Cass.

"I'm guessing you're not here to reminisce," he greeted me.

"Alright, we did what you said. We have the First Blade."

"Not here? Not on your person."

"Not saying. So back to you. What's next?"

"This is where it gets interesting," the scribe smiled.

"Uh huh," I glared back at him.

"It's very lonely here. And I have little to do but think. And it occurred to me that you really need this Mark taken off of you. And in order to do that, you really need me. So here's the deal. That first little tip I gave you? A freebie. Just cause you're you. Every future step– they're gonna cost you. Big. Oh, and FYI, there's a bunch."

Pulling an angel blade out, I slammed it down on the table, and turned around, going to lock the door.

"Watcha doing there, slugger?" Metatron asked.