50| Going to Hell

As I drove, I tried calling Dean, Sam, Crowley and Cass, but got voicemail for all of them. I left messages for Sam, Dean, and Cass telling them to call me, but before I could leave a message for Crowley, I hung up, experiencing blurry vision. I started to gag and pulled the car over, barely getting out in time to throw up. Falling down, I leaned against the Impala, feeling sick again, and then I heard a voice.

"Eleanor?"

I looked over, vision still a little blurry, to see Cass approaching.

"I came as soon as you called," he informed me. "Are you alright?"

"Cass?" I asked, then threw up a third time.

The angel put his hand on my shoulder as I groaned, sitting back up.

"You're not alright," he stated.

"Obviously," I said, wiping my mouth on my jacket's sleeve. "What's wrong with me?"

He placed a hand on my forehead and then looked into my eyes.

"What are you doing?"

"Stick out your tongue."

"What?"

Confusedly, I did as he asked, and Cass peered inside my mouth before I pushed him away.

"Alright, are we done?" I asked.

"No," he replied, holding up a finger worriedly. "Let me take your temperature."

"No... that's not going to happen," I pushed him away again.

"How far away are we from the event?"

"You mean the angel nuke?"

"Yeah."

"Ground zero is about a mile down that way," I pointed down the street.

"That explains it," Cass nodded. "You're suffering from smiting sickness."

"That... that's a thing?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yeah. The angels... what they did... it released a tremendous amount of energy and there's fallout, so this whole area is poisoned."

"You can heal me, right?"

"No, I can't and the closer you get to the blast site, the worse your sickness will become."

"How worse?"

"The last time there was a smiting of this magnitude, Lot's wife turned to salt."

"Awesome," I muttered, looking down the street toward the site.

"Alright, Eleanor, you need to go back."

"Ah, no," I struggled to my feet. "No. No, we gotta... we gotta see if it worked... see if Amos is alive or dead."

"We don't," Cass corrected me sternly. "The fallout doesn't affect angels. I'll go in alone."

I looked at Cass, debating until my stomach churned again and made up my mind for me as I felt like I was going to throw up again.

"Okay, yeah, it's probably better that way. I'll take a drive and go check on Sam and Dean."

"Right. Good."

"Hey, Cass? If it did work and he's dead, bring his body out."

"And if he's not?"

"Run."

I ran through the halls of the Bunker, searching frantically for any sign of Sam, Dean or the kids.