76| Hitler's Soul

Sam, Dean and I sat at a diner table with Aaron, the member of the Judah Initiative the brothers had met the last time they dealt with the Thule, on speaker from Germany.

"We're halfway through the ledger," Aaron informed us. "I nailed six, and the golem got the rest. It feels good, you know, finishing what the Judah Initiative started."

"Your grandfather would have been proud," Sam replied.

"Yeah, well, dropping out of college to wipe out Nazi corpse-bags wasn't exactly my mother's dream, but what are you gonna do?"

"Hey, uh, you hear about any Thule activity in our neck of the woods?" Dean asked him.

"Not lately," Aaron answered. "These douche-nozzles have been sticking to their Fatherland."

"Lately?" I questioned.

"Yeah. They're closing ranks. All jumpy."

"Any idea what's cookin'?" Sam furrowed his brow.

"Whatever it is, it's big. We got our hands on a few of their documents. Code named the mission 'Das Blut'- The Blood."

"The..." I scoffed. "Wow, that sounds nice and ominous."

"Right? I mean, we're talking the whole enchilada- the Thule High Command all in one place."

"Hey, does the, uh, this pocket watch mean anything to you, Nazi relic-wise?" Dean asked.

"No," Aaron denied. "Sorry."

"Hey, another body just dropped," Sam informed us.

"Aaron, we're gonna have to call you back, bud," Dean disconnected the call.

We headed to the apartment and learned that while one of the victims was nothing but ash and bone, the girl who actually lived in the apartment managed to escape to her neighbor's place and call for help. As we exited the building, we saw the survivor banging on the window of a police car, pleading for help.

"You see that?" I asked.

"Yeah," Sam nodded.

"We gotta follow that car," Dean added, grinning. "Oh, I've always wanted to say that."

We piled into the Impala, Dean speeding off in the direction the police car went. We ended up in a parking garage and Sam and Dean went to stop the man who'd kidnapped the girl while I released her from her handcuffs. After talking to her for a minute, I shepherded her over to where Sam and Dean had cuffed the man to a chair.

"So, if you're not cops, then what are you?" she asked.

"There are things out there that shouldn't exist," Sam informed her. "Bad things. We kill 'em. It's kind of our job."

"Yeah, so your safest place is with us right now," Dean added.

"Uh huh. Safe from... Nazi zombies."

"Necromancers," Sam corrected. "They use blood magic to make themselves almost immortal."

"Almost?" she looked over at me then back at Sam.

"Well, you shoot 'em in the head, set 'em on fire, that usually does the trick," Dean smirked.

"This is completely insane."

"Ellie, you saw what they did to your friend," I pointed out.

"Okay but..." Ellie swallowed, "why- why would they kill Nick? And why kidnap me?"

"Those are great questions," Dean turned to the man in the chair. "What do you Thules want with the watch? And what does it have to do with her?"

"You're gonna have to kill me," the Thule member replied.

"Alright," Dean looked over at me. "Want to, uh..."

"Yep," I nodded, placing a hand on Ellie's arm to guide her away. "Alright, let's go for a walk."

"Wait. No. No," she protested, standing her ground. "You can't just shoot him."

"Oh, no, sure I can," Dean said, cocking his gun. "See, I do it all the time."

"Oh, my," she squeaked.

"You don't wanna watch this," I assured her, trying to get her away again.

"Alright!" the Thule cried. "Alright, alright. Just... It belongs to my father. Commandant Nauhaus, Thule High Command? Ranking officer?"

"Okay," Sam nodded.

"See, that wasn't so hard now, was it?" Dean asked, uncocking the gun. "Carry on."

"You don't understand. He'll kill me."

"What do you think this is, a tickle party?"

The Thule sighed, glaring back at Dean.

"It started at the end of the war. The Soviets had surrounded the Fuhrer-bunker. Everyone knew it was over- everyone except my father."

"Alright, skip the foreplay," Dean growled. "What did your dad do to Hitler?"

"He saved his life. Well, he saved his soul. Like, literally. The watch, it's like a- it's like a horcrux."

"It's a Harry Potter thing," Sam said when Dean looked confused.

"Oh, you would know that."

"Anyways, so the watch holds Hitler's soul?" I asked, ignoring the brothers' side conversation.

"Right," Ellie shook her head. "You- you trapped Hitler's soul in a pocket watch? Why is that? For safekeeping?"

"No. To bring him back," the Thule corrected and Ellie laughed. "It sounded bonkers to me the first time I heard it, too."

"The first time you heard it?" Sam echoed. "Weren't you there?"

"What? No. Man, I was born in Buffalo in '94. Listen, this whole 'let's bring Hitler back' is more of an O.G. Thule plan. All they do is yap about it."

"He's joking, right?" Ellie looked from me to the brothers. "Right? This is- this is a joke."

"Okay, wait," Dean cut in. "Let's just- let's back up to the part where your dad is going to resurrect Adolph Hitler."

The Thule sighed.

"After the bunker, the Thule agents who were smuggling Hitler's soul out got whacked by Soviets."

"So you lost the watch," Sam translated.

"Hey, I didn't lose it. It ended up with some Russian family. Then the Thule tracked it to China and then to Peru. Then it wound up in that antique shop. So now they're all hyped to get their Fuhrer-resurrection on."

"This isn't a joke," Ellie muttered. "Oh my God."

I placed a hand on her back, rubbing it in a comforting gesture while Sam and Dean continued to ask questions.

"How do they plan on bringing him back?"

"The soul of Hitler can only inhabit the body of somebody who possesses his blood," came the reply.

"His blood," Sam scoffed. "'Das Blut'. So, let me get this straight. The Thule want to upload Hitler into the body of one of his relatives? Do they even exist any more?"

"Well, there's one right there," the Thule nodded at the young woman I was comforting.

"Wait. Wait. You think I'm related to Hitler?" she asked, voice rising with anxiety. "Okay, okay, that- that- this is just hilarious."

"They've been keeping tabs on you your whole life," he informed her. "The Thule track all of Hitler's descendants. You just happen to be in the same state as the watch."

He chuckled humorlessly.

"Go figure."