78| The Magic Word

I walked with Ellie up toward her apartment door once we got back into the city.

"So, how you holding up?" I asked her.

"Uh, well, we just burned a pile of dead Nazi zombie bodies. One of which I killed, so maybe, like, third worst day ever. I've had a rough time lately."

"Yeah, and then all this happens."

"I think I'm gonna be okay, though. I should probably call my mom. You can only run for so long, you know? So, uh, what do you think is harder, facing the reincarnation of Hitler or going back to med school?"

I hummed, pretending to think about it for a moment.

"I think I gotta say Hitler," I nodded my head.

"Yeah, I think- I think so," she chuckled. "Thank you for everything."

"Yeah. Uh... take care of yourself."

"Yeah," she headed inside.

I walked out to the Impala where Sam and Dean were waiting, sliding into the backseat.

"Good to go," I informed them.

"You know, I was thinkin..." Dean grinned. "We passed a bakery on the way into town. Sign said 'best pie for a thousand miles'."

"You're seriously thinking about pie right now?"

"I killed Hitler. I think I deserve some pie," Dean started the engine. "Did I mention I killed Hitler?"

"We're never gonna hear the end of this, are we?" Sam groaned.

"Probably not," Dean replied, winking in the rearview mirror at me and taking off.

I knocked on Jody's front door, Sam and Dean standing a step behind me. A moment later, the sheriff answered it.

"Wow, you look terrible," she greeted us. "What's wrong?"

"Sure, we'd love to come in," I replied, hugging her and entering the house.

"Hey," Sam greeted her, following me inside with Dean. "Yeah, we just finished a hunt in Brookings."

"And you couldn't take a shower first?" Jody quipped.

"Heh," Dean shrugged.

"Ha ha," I rolled my eyes. "We figured we'd stop by on the way home and see you, Claire, and Alex."

"Aw, that's fun. Unfortunately, the girls are in Omaha for the weekend being angsty at a Radiohead concert. But I can feed you."

"Ooh," Sam nodded enthusiastically.

"Yes, alright," Dean also nodded. "Oh, uh... Since the last time we saw you? I killed Hitler."

"Oh," Sam groaned as he and I both rolled our eyes.

Dean was just smiling at Jody, seeming very pleased with himself.

"Thank you?" she said hesitantly, a perplexed look on her face.

"You're welcome," he replied, smirking.

We settled in in Jody's living room, eating pizza and watching the movie she'd started before we interrupted. Dean and I were on the couch, his arm across the back of the couch around my shoulders while Sam and Jody sat in recliners nearby.

"Jody, you watching some sort of chick-flick here?" Dean questioned, mouth full of pizza.

"Well, Dean. I'm a chick," Jody smirked over at him.