49| The Darkness's True Intentions

"You felt my presence," Amos spoke. "That's why you came here."

I didn't respond, and Amos stepped forward, putting a hand on my arm. We were immediately transported to another clearing, and I looked around at our surroundings- consisting of a beautiful lake, forest, and mountains- before facing Amos.

"You grew up," I noted.

"Yes," he nodded once.

"So this is you now?"

"At least for today. You misunderstand my purpose here on earth."

"Well, do I misunderstand the people you butchered in the park or that church?"

"I had to get his attention," Amos explained simply.

"His?"

"God. I tried praying, calling out in need. He ignored me. He forced my hand. I had no other reason to harm his chosen. My issue is with my brother, not his creation."

I swallowed hard, trying to process the information I was being given.

"Whatever the deal is with you two; whoever threw the first punch, whoever was Daddy's favorite..."

"There was no Daddy," Amos cut me off.

"Whatever," I dismissed him. "That mess is your mess. It's between you two. You're taking people's lives. You're taking their souls."

"I consumed their souls," he corrected me. "They aren't gone. They're a part of me, and, in that way, they live forever."

I was silent, unsure how to respond to that as I searched Amos's dark eyes with my own. He smirked slightly.

"I see the wariness in your eyes, the mistrust," he informed me. "I don't blame you."

"Don't you?"

"It's incredible. How it endures, the propaganda. He was so threatened by me, fearful that I would make a more perfect creation than he. So, he exiled me. Virtually erased me. Passed on stories that I was a threat."

"While your brother was all Kanye, blowing his horn."

"He encouraged religions as monuments to his ego," Amos continued, "promised the fearful safety if they adore him. His way or the highway."

"Some people find comfort in that," I said. "Golden rule, brother's keeper. It's his universe. His rules."

"What if there were no rules? No pain. No prayer. Just bliss. That feeling that you have when you're with me."

Amos moved closer to me.

"For everyone. Forever."

"What is it exactly that you want?" I asked quietly. "When you make the world of bliss and peace, what's in it for you?"

"What I deserve."

"Which is?"

"Everything."

"Everything?" I echoed.

Amos nodded, smiling.

"I was the beginning and I will be the end. I will be all there is."

"So, you're it," I turned away from him. "That would make you God."

"No, God was the Light," Amos corrected me. "I am the Dark."

I reached into my jacket, pulling out a silver blade.

"Then what?"

"That's all you need to know for now," the Darkness informed me.

Turning quickly, I moved the blade to plunge it into his stomach. The knife shattered, not even penetrating his suit let alone his body, and the shards fell to the ground. I just stood there, stunned, as Amos studied me.

"You had to know that was pointless," he said. "I know that you're a warrior and your instinct is to resist. But I can't be resisted."

Moving even closer to me, he brought his hands up to cup my face. For a moment, I felt a burning sensation inside of me as he started to suck out my soul, but then he stopped, as if changing his mind. Moving one of his hands around to the back of my head and the other to my waist, he pulled me closer, pressing his lips to mine. I didn't resist, just letting it happen, and then brought my arms up to circle his neck, kissing him back. 

After a few moments, I pulled back and Amos let me go.

"What was that?" I asked breathlessly.

"The future," he replied. "The inevitable result of our first meeting. What you've been feeling since that moment. What we both felt. That we're bonded. You're the one who set me free."

"No," I shook my head. "That was an accident."

"It was destiny," Amos chuckled. "You bore the Mark. I am the original Mark."

He pulled up his sleeve slightly, showing off the Mark on his wrist.

"You and I will be together."

"No. No, that's not going to happen. I have a husband... Kids..."

"It's so simple, Eleanor. We will become one. Why wouldn't you want that?"

At that moment, three angels wielding blades appeared in the clearing.

"Amos!" Angel One addressed the Darkness. "You're going to surrender to us and to the judgement of Heaven."

"Why would I submit to anything of God's creation?" Amos asked them. "Tell your master to come fetch me himself."

"All of Heaven's on high alert," Angel Two said. "If you resist, each and every angel in the skies will smite you, in a single unified blow."

"Not even you could survive it," Angel One added.

"Whoa, whoa, fellows, dial it down a bit, okay," I protested. "Look, if you take him down, a whole bunch of people are going to die."

"We're at the point where sacrifice is inevitable," Angel One replied.

Behind me, Amos prepared to attack.

"Amos, no!" I cried.

Angel One strode forward and Amos held his hands up, as if to ward him off. The angel's eyes glowed white and his grace exploded from inside his body as he died. Angel Two stepped forward next, but stopped as if held back by an invisible wall. I watched, horrified, as Amos compelled him to stab himself in the face. Finally, as Angel Three moved as if to flee, Amos swished his hand and the angel exploded in a cloud of dust and remnants of grace.

"What have you done?" I asked, staring at Amos.

Lightning flashed overhead and thunder clapped, Amos and I both looking skyward. The clouds overhead darkened, swirling above us.

"It's coming," I said. "They will smite you."

"Maybe now, he'll hear me," Amos replied.

He looked at me sadly, then flicked his hand, and I found myself back in the park by the hot dog vendor. I stared up at the sky, confused and trying to understand what I'd just witnessed. I hurried over to the Impala, climbing in and starting to drive to where Amos and I had been, anxious and slightly terrified about what I might find once I got there.