57| Cat's Out of the Bag

I had Zep go spend some time with Maddie in her room while I helped Sam and Lucifer look through books trying to find a way to get rid of the warding so we could save Dean.

"Wait a second. I think I have something," Sam finally spoke up. "The spell of gathering, it's an incantation used to focus the power of celestial beings, angels, against all drawn forms of evasion. The spell is designed to clear all mystical or occult blockages. I mean, this is highly theoretical magic, it's never been used before, but it sounds like it could work."

"And the ingredients?" I asked hopefully, looking over from my own book.

"Uh..." Sam trailed off, moving his finger down the page as he read the list before sitting back in his seat, disappointed. "All but one. That's why it's never been used before; it requires the power of an archangel."

I swallowed, glancing over at Lucifer briefly as he spoke up, still doing an imitation of Cass's voice.

"Well Sam, we may as well try."

"We don't have time for long shots, Cass," Sam shook his head. "Even at full power you're not strong enough."

Sam stood up, leaving the book behind and walking away. As soon as he was out of the room, Lucifer headed over and opened the book he'd been reading, studying the spell of gathering.

"You can't do it," I said, and he looked over at me. "If you do, Sam will figure out the truth."

"Trust me, Ecclesia," Lucifer smirked, once again talking like himself. "I know what I'm doing."

When Sam rejoined us, Lucifer had used his powers to keep me stuck in my chair, rendered speechless as he put ingredients together in a large bowl.

"Hey. Cass, what is that?"

"It's your spell of gathering."

"You nuts? You're not strong enough Cass, you could get hurt!"

"You find a better option?"

"Well, no, but... without a serious boost to your angel power, the spell won't even work!"

"My strength may surprise you," Lucifer informed him.

"Wait a second. I remember Bobby told us when you needed strength to retrieve Dean and me from the past, you used him to power up, you touched his soul, right?"

I remembered that, back when they were trying to get the phoenix ashes to deal with Eve.

"That's right, I did that," Lucifer nodded slowly. "But that procedure can be fatal."

"Use my soul," Sam told him, and I immediately tried to protest even though I knew I wouldn't be able to do anything unless Lucifer let me. "That way you'll have enough power to wield the spell."

"That isn't necessary."

"It's worth the risk. Cass, Dean needs our help. I trust you."

Lucifer's face contorted in a smile and he started laughing then, my eyes widening as I fought against the force keeping me bound in the chair.

"What?" Sam asked him.

"Oh, I just- I don't need you anymore," Lucifer grinned, no longer imitating Cass. "I mean, Eleanor's the one with the link to Amos, and the only reason to bring Dean back is to get the Hand of God, why have I been trying to spare you? I mean, maybe it's because you're like the girl who kept turning me down at the prom."

I jumped in my seat slightly as Lucifer slammed Sam against one of the Bunker's support columns.

"I will touch your soul," he informed Sam. "Just because you asked so nicely, and I'll use your spell to blast through the warding and retrieve Dean and the, uh, Hand of God, and then when Dean comes back and he finds this place decorated with your guts, I will tell him the truth, Sam.  I'll just say, 'Dean'-"

He paused and smiled before imitating Cass's voice once more.

"'Dean... he knew the risks. He wouldn't take no for an answer.'"

"Lucifer," Sam breathed.

"In the flesh!"

My eyes widened in horror as Lucifer stuck his hand inside Sam, the white light of his soul shining through, and Sam began to scream. I fought against the force some more, and then all of a sudden felt the hold on me loosen as Lucifer withdrew his hand and released Sam, who crumpled to the ground unconscious. Lucifer's wings flickered from white to black and his hand shook slightly as he grimaced.

"Hello, Castiel," he growled.

I got up, rushing to Sam's side as he slowly regained consciousness. The wings on Lucifer's back became more solidly black as Cass regained control of the vessel, fighting to keep Lucifer back. Sam's eyes widened and he tried to get away as Cass fell to the floor nearby.

"No, no!" he yelled.

"Sam, it's me," Cass told him.

"Cass? Why?"

"He wanted to be of service to fight," I said. "Lucifer claims to be the only one that can beat him."

"You chose this?" Sam looked from me back at the angel. "You have to fight, Cass! Eject him now!"

"I can't! It's taking all my strength to keep him from killing you. And besides, we need him!"

"No, Cass, we don't. We'll find another way to stop Amos."

Cass shook his head, correcting Sam.

"We need him to save Dean."

"You can't time travel," Sam realized.

"Only Lucifer can," I nodded.

I was still crouched on the floor next to Sam as Lucifer reappeared in the room, one hand on Dean's shoulder.

"Dean- THAT'S NOT CASS!" Sam pointed.

Dean stared at me and Sam then glanced over at Lucifer, who got a gleeful, sheepish look on his face.

"Cat's out!"

Lucifer threw Dean across the table, and he landed on the floor a little ways away from Sam and me against the wall.

"I feel a burden lifted," Lucifer said, bouncing on the balls of his feet a little. "You know, this whole- deep cover thing- it wasn't terribly well thought out. Donning this- this Cass mask? This grim face of angelic constipation? It just- ugh! And then, teaming up with you three- of course, my Ecclesia knew the whole time."

Dean and I both got to our feet while Sam remained on the ground, but found both of us pinned against the wall by the archangel.

"Why the faces, boys, Ecclesia? You should be cheering. We have a common enemy. With this," he held up the Hand of God, wrapped in a cloth, "he will be no problem. I mean, I will have killed you three and those two brats down the hall by then, but still. Come on."

Dean and I watched as Lucifer unwrapped the Hand of God.

"No!" Dean cried.

He picked it up, holding it in his hand as Dean cried out again.

"NO!"

Lucifer closed his eyes, waiting for the effects of the power to come, and frowned when nothing happened.

"It's kicked!" he threw it on the ground angrily.

"Well," Dean smirked a little in relief. "Who'd've  thought the Hand of God would turn out to be a one-hitter?"

Lucifer advanced toward me and Dean in frustration, but at the last second, Sam placed his hand on a banishing sigil he'd made on the floor, sending Lucifer away with a yell. Dean and I were both released from the wall, looking at each other worriedly.