20| The Dive Bar

I had shut myself in Dean and my room, spending endless hours researching ways to remove the Mark of Cain. Flashes of old conversations kept coming back to me.

"After Cain killed Abel, he became a demon," Crowley's voice came back to me.

"I felt connected with you right from the start," Cain's voice was next. "You and I are very much alike. I can give you the mark, Eleanor, if it's truly what you want."

"But when I kill," my voice echoed in my thoughts, "I kill for a reason. I'm nothing like Cain."

"Why are you fighting what you really are?" Crowley's voice returned.

I sat on the floor at the end of the bed, a giant book with ancient inscriptions written in it open against my legs. A knock sounded at the door, and a moment later, Dean came in the room.

"Hey," he greeted me.

"Hey," I said, not looking up from the book.

"Caught a case." 

He handed me a tablet, and I looked at the news article that it was open to.

"Apparently something is taking people. And leaving their clothes."

I enlarged a picture of one of the victims on the screen.

"Hm. About time this gig got an 'R' rating," I quipped and Dean scoffed. "Alright, why don't you and Sam check it out? I'll hold down the fort."

"Ellie, you haven't left the Bunker in a week."

I tossed the tablet back on our bed when he didn't take it from me.

"And?"

"And you can't live the rest of your life locked up in this room. Maddie and Zep have started asking about you."

"They're fine," I shrugged. "They got you and Uncle Sammy to watch them."

"Look, I know you're worried about the Mark."

"Yes, Dean, I am. Between what I did to Charlie-"

"Charlie forgave you. She was right, you really have been spending too much time around me. How about you forgive yourself?"

"Because I'm not exactly batting 1,000 here, you know?"

"Yeah, I do know that, but staying locked up in here, sitting on the ground reading the same lore books over and over and over again, it's not helping you. You need to get back in the game for your own good. You can beat this, Ellie."

"Do you really believe that?" I locked eyes with him.

"Yeah, you're damn right I believe that."

I was silent, chewing my lip as I considered my options. Finally, I relented, closing the book.

"Okay."

After dropping off Maddie and Zep, we headed to the bar where the latest disappearance took place.

"And then- then- then there was this bright light, and- bam- the dude's just gone," the homeless man we were talking to explained. "Nothing left, but, uh..."

"Cheap suit and a pair of Florsheim's?" I quipped.

"Pretty much," he nodded.

"You see anyone else?" Sam asked.

"No, sir, officer."

I rolled my eyes as Dean spoke next.

"And what about, uh, a chill? Or did you smell any rotten eggs?"

"What? No, man. Uh... I smelled flowers, though."

"You smelled flowers?" Sam echoed. "What kind of flowers?"

The man seemed to think for a moment before answering.

"Flowery flowers."

"Flowery flowers," Sam muttered, annoyed.

"Look. We all know what's going on here, okay?"

"Don't say it," I hissed through gritted teeth, closing my eyes.

"Aliens."

"He said it."

"Yeah, he did," Dean grumbled, as annoyed as me and Sam were.

"Dude was abducted. Believe me, I know," the man looked up at the sky. "May 2003. Those suckers, they grabbed me, they probed me everywhere."

"Okay," I rolled my eyes.

I ditched out, starting to walk away while Sam thanked the man for his time and he and Dean caught up to me.

"Well, the wheels just came flying off the bus," I huffed in annoyance.

"Yeah. No cold spots means it probably wasn't a ghost," Dean agreed.

"No sulfur means no demons," Sam added. "Which leaves us with what? Couple of green dudes and a bucket of lube?"

"Or fairies," I scoffed. "Or... angels."

We stopped walking, turning to face each other.

"Ugh. I'd rather have the little green dudes," Dean rolled his eyes. "Alright, Sam and I'll go scope out J.P.'s place. You, uh, you ask around inside."

He paused when he noticed the hesitant look on my face.

"Or you know what? I can stay here with you while Sam goes solo."

"No, no, no," I shook my head. "It's cool. I can handle a little 20 questions with the locals, okay?"

"You sure?"

"Yeah, hey, look, it's a dive bar. What's the worst that can happen?"

"Alright. Good, great."

After pecking me on the lips, Dean and Sam headed back to the Impala, leaving me there. I stood outside for a moment longer after they'd driven off, trying to find the courage to move my feet. Taking a deep breath, I walked through the door, heading straight for the bar.

"What can I do you?" the bartender asked me.

"Screw it," I sighed. "I'm gonna believe in myself."

"Atta girl."

"Give me something strong and dark," I told him. "Hey, did you know that guy that went missing- J.P.?"

The bartender pulled out a glass, filling it with whiskey.

"Who's asking?"

"Just an old friend," I shrugged.

"Look, I'm sorry to hear what happened," the bartender sighed. "But... guy's a lowlife. That night, I had to kick out his ass for stealing my tips. Whatever J.P. got... probably had it coming."

"Ouch," I grimaced.

Grabbing the glass of whiskey, I eyed it hesitantly a moment before throwing it back, feeling the burn against the back of my throat. My heart pounded in my chest as I placed one hand over the Mark of Cain. I was starting to think it was a mistake agreeing to stay here by myself.

"J.P. wasn't that bad."

I looked over to see a blonde woman sitting a few stools down.

"You knew him?" I asked.

"This isn't exactly 'Cheers', but yeah," she nodded.

I walked over, sitting next to her as she continued.

"And don't get me wrong, I would not buy a used car from the guy. But he was harmless."

"So, what was his problem?"

"What wasn't?" she chuckled. "You're here getting stunned while the sun's still up, your life's a regular Charlie Foxtrot. Trust me."

"I'm Ellie," I smiled.

"Tina," she smiled back.

I held up a hand, signaling to the bartender to bring us two more drinks.