36| Saved by the Darkness

"Hey! Hey!" Sam's voice sounded as I regained consciousness. "You okay?"

I groaned, rising to my feet and looking around.

"Yeah," I nodded. "Where's the car?"

"I-i-it's... about a mile that way," Sam pointed.

"What?"

"Seriously? The- the Darkness hit. You disappeared. You remember none of this?"

I thought back to when the smoke had enveloped the car. I had seen a man in a dark suit in the fog, told Sam to hold on, and then suddenly I had been outside the car within the smoke with the man.

"He saved me," I looked at Sam.

"What? Who?"

"The Darkness."

I started walking in the direction Sam had indicated the Impala was in, and he rushed to catch up.

"Wait a second. What do you mean, he saved you?"

"You were there. When the storm hit, everything went dark."

"Yeah, but you just disappeared from the car."

"I don't even remember that," I admitted as the Impala came into view.

"Well, I don't remember some man pulling you out," Sam shot back.

"Well, what do you want me to say, okay? I was in the car, and then I wasn't in the car. I was in the field, and he was there."

"And he told you he was the Darkness."

"No, he was wearing a nametag," I quipped. "What do you think? He thanked me."

"For what?"

"Setting him free."

"You didn't set him free. Dean and I set him free."

"Does it matter? I mean, yeah, you said the spell, but I had the Mark, so lock and key."

"So, what, now he feels indebted to you or something?"

"I don't know. He's the Darkness. Does he feel anything?"

"And that's all he said? Thanks?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "He was weird. But he had this energy about him- this focus. But, yeah, not a talker."

"So we know jack."

"Well, we know what he looks like, and we know that he's evil. The question is, what does he know? I mean, he's been locked away since the beginning of time. Does he even know what a cheeseburger is? All I know is that we set him free, and we're gonna put him back in, no matter what it takes."

I started to walk over to the passenger side of the Impala, but stopped myself short when I remembered it was stuck in a pothole.

"What the... you were just going to let me get in the car?"

"You were on a roll," Sam shrugged.

"Yeah, Dean, it's all good," I was saying into my phone as Sam drove. "Whatever you guys did, it worked. The Mark's gone."

"And nothing else happened?" he asked. "Nothing else I should know about?"

My eyes widened as Sam stopped the car short of a gruesome scene.

"Uh, I'll call you back," I hung up the phone. "What the hell happened here?"

We both climbed out of the car, heading closer to the wreck.