93| Working with the Brits

It turned out, Kelvin didn't really want anything to do with me. He came for Cass. He wanted him to join the rest of the angels, help them track down Kelly, and he would be welcomed back in Heaven with open arms. After talking it over, I agreed to let him and Kelvin take over the search for Kelly while I headed back to the Bunker to meet back up with Sam and Dean. When I got back, they admitted all the cases they'd been working lately were from the British Men of Letters.

"What?" I narrowed my eyes, looking between them both.

"Yeah," Sam nodded, glancing nervously over at Dean. "We didn't tell you 'cause we know how much you hate them."

"No, we hate them," I stressed. "Us. Together."

"W-we get that," Dean nodded. "Yeah, we do. But- but..."

He sighed, looking to Sam for help.

"Ellie, because of Mick and his guys, the Alpha Vampire is dead," Sam took over. "They get results. We don't like them either, but- but if- if we can save people, then it..."

He sighed, but pressed on.

"Either way, we shouldn't have lied to you. And... we're sorry. W-we..."

"Well, okay."

Both Sam and Dean blinked in surprise.

"Okay?" Dean echoed.

"What do you want me to say? Do I like it? No. Do I trust them? Hell, no. But you're both right. We work with people we don't trust all the time. So, if you both wanna give this a shot, then..." I scoffed, "fine. But the minute- and I mean the second- something feels off, we bail."

"Yeah, of course," Dean nodded. "Deal."

Sam's phone vibrated again and he glanced at it.

"It's Mick."

"Pick it up," I told him.

"This is Sam."

We ended up working a werewolf case with Mick. For his credit, it seemed like Dean was still a bit more hesitant than Sam when it came to the Brits. We actually ended up running into Claire on the case and she got turned into a werewolf. But, we managed to use a cure that was highly experimental that Sam found in one of Mick's lore books and saved her.

After that, we got some more intel on Kelly from Eileen. I still felt guilty for keeping the fact that I helped Kelly escape a secret, but I knew Sam and Dean, specifically Dean, would get mad when they found out I was responsible for Kelly getting taken by a Prince of Hell.

"Just saying, guys, even with Cass and every hunter we know working on this, we got nothing," Sam pointed out. "At least, you know, maybe Crowley..."

"No way, we're not calling Crowley," I shook my head.

Sam was about to protest further, but stopped as we looked over and realized we weren't alone.

"Hello, boys. Eleanor. Do come and have a drink," Mick greeted us.

"Did you break into our house?" Dean asked.

"Our house," the Brit stressed, pointing from him to us. "Men of Letters. Did you know your key opens every chapter house in the world?"

We stared at him incredulously.

"Hey, guys, why don't you go watch something," I addressed Maddie and Zep, sending them down the hall.

"Well, you did say you'd give me a second chance," Mick reminded us.

"Yeah, that doesn't mean we want to hang out," I glared at him.

"You here for a reason?" Sam asked.

"I am, and it's a bit urgent. Some time ago, the home office recorded some sort of cosmic shock wave. Very rare. And after a few months of..."

"Nephilim," Sam interrupted him.

"You knew?"

"Yeah, we knew," Dean nodded.

"How?"

"Sort of a long story," I shrugged.

"Well, I've got time," Mick looked at us expectantly.

"Well, Lucifer jacked the President... and then knocked up his girlfriend," Dean began.

"And now she's on the run with Dagon, who's a Prince of Hell," Sam added.

"I see. And you didn't tell me this, because..."

"'Cause it's kind of a need-to-know kind of thing," I quipped.

"The Devil is having a... child. It seems like something we'd need to know. Where is this woman now?"

I shifted subtly in my spot, the guilt of what I did coming back as Sam spoke.

"Not sure. We had her. Tried to help her, but, she, uh..."

"We lost her," Dean finished.

"Yeah," Sam nodded his head.

"I'm sorry. You... you had her? And you let her live?"

"Look, it's not Kelly's fault, okay?" I growled, getting defensive. "She didn't know Lucifer was her boyfriend."

"Oh, sure, yeah," Mick agreed sarcastically. "It could happen to anyone."

"Plus, she'd agreed to end the pregnancy," Sam cut in. "And I guess she changed her mind. Even with everything Kelly knew, it... it was still her kid. She couldn't."

"Then you should have! You should've shot her between the eyes immediately!"

"Oh, why?" Dean glared. "'Cause that's what you would have done?"

"Kind of like you killed that werewolf?" I sided with my husband. "'Cause from what I remember, that really messed you up."

"Yeah, 'cause you're so big on second chances and all," Sam chimed in.

"Yeah... yes," Mick nodded. "I'm not saying it was gonna be easy, but the Code demands it."

"Oh. The Code," I rolled my eyes.

"This is not some werewolf," he growled. "Do... do you have any idea what will happen if this abomination is born?"

I made a move to lunge at the Brit, but Dean held me back.

"Mick... we're handling it, alright?" Sam said, looking over at me. "We'll find her."

"So, until then... I say we drink," Dean smirked.

"Yeah, I'm'a pass," I said through clenched teeth. "Someone has to be the responsible adult and make sure the kids get to bed."

I broke out of Dean's grip, heading down the hall to where Maddie and Zep were curled up in Dean and my bed watching TV.

"Mama? Why are you guys working with the douchebags?"

"Okay, one, you shouldn't be using that kind of language, you're eight years old," I gave Maddie a pointed look. "And, two, we don't want to work with them, but they help us do our job."

"You mean they help you hunt."

"Yeah... yeah, they do."

"But you and Dad hunted just fine without them," Zep pointed out. "Uncle Sam, too."

"Yeah, I know, bud," I sighed, climbing onto the bed beside them. "It wasn't my idea, trust me."

"Timothy doesn't like them."

"W-who's Timothy?"

Zep looked up at me with his innocent hazel eyes.

"Mick's old buddy from Kendrick College. Mick killed him."