Chapter 8: Conflict

The walk through Route 1 was as simple as it gets. Without a pokemon, even I was able to get through and back safely. The Pidgeys and Rattatas weren't threats before, and they sure as hell aren't now.

Trinity and I, with Pikachu and Eevee, decimated the wild pokemon, getting some battle experience. If this were a game, we would be severely overleveled for this area. But this was practice for where we were going next.

It was already evening by the time we made it back to Viridian City. We weren't going to stay long. Trinity had to say goodbye to her family.

"Wait here," she said to me as we stood in front of her house, which was much bigger and nicer than mine.

"Hopefully Gabriel doesn't find out," I said.

Trinity rubbed Pikachu's head nervously, "I hope so, too. I'll try not to let him figure out that I'm traveling with you. That would make things... complicated."

I nodded at that. Eevee and Pikachu looked at us with confused faces, obviously not knowing what we were talking about.

"I'll be back," Trinity said at last, before walking inside her house.

I tried my best to stay out of sight and not look suspicious at the same time. Hopefully, Gabriel didn't come busting out of that door and start harassing me with Venusaur. If he did, I didn't know if I could beat him.

Yeah, I beat the Ursaring, but it was reckless. It attacked with an unquenchable frenzy that pushed away all sense of caution or awareness. It charged in a blind rage, which allowed Eevee and I to outwit it.

Not only is Gabriel—as much as I hate to admit it—a more experienced trainer than I am, but he also isn't stupid. He's an asshole, sure, but he isn't as stupid as I wished he was. He's not someone I could beat.

The door flew open, and I bit back a curse as I realized that the thing I didn't want to happen just happened.

Gabriel was walking over to me with a scowl, Trinity running behind him. How the hell did he find out? Come on, I don't need this!

"Gabe, wait!" Trinity yelled after him, but he ignored her.

"Why the hell are you traveling with my sister, Vali?!" he said as he stopped in front of me, his eyes brimming with anger.

"Because it just makes sense," I shrugged indignantly. "We're both new trainers, so why not stick together?"

"Oh? So, you're playing Pokemon Trainer now? After all these years?" Gabriel snapped. His eyes were filled with rage and something else... something that looked strangely like pain. "After what you did?"

"What did I do?" I couldn't process the look in his eyes. His accusation startled me, for whatever reason.

He scoffed. "So, you don't even remember? I expect that from you."

I gave him an annoyed look, "You know, you're starting to act defensive. If you would tell me what 'I did' then that would be super helpful." I pretended to look thoughtful. "On second thought, I don't care."

Trinity, meeting my eyes, shook her head solemnly, as if I did something wrong. Really? Her too.

She put her hand on her brother's arm, "Big Bro, you don't have to do this."