Chapter 32: Eerie Whispers

"Lopunny, use Ice Punch!" Dawn shouted as we ran.

Lopunny jumped to our rear and unleashed a frost-covered barrage of punches at the horde of Ghost-types that attacked us. A group of Gastly went down easily.

We were walking through the forest, being guided by my sense of direction, when suddenly a horde of Ghost-types ambushed us. We were then forced to flee.

Meanwhile, Dawn and I were dodging waves of Shadow Balls that were shot at us. These Ghost-types seemed to really love using Shadow Ball. But since it was so predictable it was easy to dodge and counter. The only problem were the numbers. Sure, we could defeat many at once, but some were smarter than others and dodged our attacks.

"Play Rough!"

Lopunny threw kicks and punches at a group of Shuppet, Misdreavus, Gastly, Drifloon, and Golett. Some were knocked out, while others were only damaged.

Naturally, I was putting in work as well.

"Eevee, Mimic, use Play Rough. Kirlia, Psychic. Hatenna, use Psybeam."

Eevee fought by Lopunny's side, the two throwing kicks at the Ghost-types. Two Misdreavus, three Drifloon, and five Golett were defeated by Eevee's attack. Lopunny knocked out ten Ghost-types in total. Kirlia's Psychic blasted five Gastly backward, taking them down in one hit. Hatenna's Psybeam initially didn't hit the Drifloon she was aiming, but it hit the tree next to them. As expected, the Psybeam was absorbed into the tree, but when it was released again, it hit them by sheer luck. It went down just as easily.

They were easy to deal with, but they were wearing down our Pokemon in the process. We needed something that would knock them all out at once.

Hatenna was caught unawares as a Hex approached her. Blackish-purple wisps surrounded her and struck.

"Watch out!" Dawn shouted. "Lopunny, jump in front of Hatenna!"

Lopunny sped at Hatenna and took the attack for her, canceling it.

"Hatenna, Psybeam!" I ordered.

Hatenna released a beam of purplish energy at the Gastly, who simply opened its mouth and let out a wave of purple and blue light that overpowered the Psybeam and hit Hatenna. I cursed. It used Night Shade, and since it was a Ghost-type move it canceled out Hatenna's Psybeam, which was Psychic-type.

Hatenna cried out in pain and couldn't react as the Gastly launched a Shadow Ball at her.

"Eevee, Quick Attack through it. Then Mimic and Shadow Ball."

Eevee launched herself through the Shadow Ball, and it fizzled out behind her. She then launched her own Shadow Ball and took down the Gastly.

I took a quick breather but was forced to roll to the side as a Night Shade was launched at me.

"Dawn, we have to keep running," I said. "We will get overwhelmed if we stay put."

"Yeah, I can see that," Dawn said grimly. "Lopunny, come on! Fall back!"

Lopunny, who was going on a rampage, heeded her Trainer's orders and hopped toward us, dodging the attacks that were able to hurt her and allowed the attacks that couldn't damager her hit her.

"Kirlia, Teleport the others to us," I ordered.

Kirlia nodded and quickly grabbed Hatenna and Eevee, teleporting next to us before the wave of Shadow Balls could hit them.

Dawn, our Pokemon, and I continued tearing through the forest, jumping out of the way of attacks. I had a particular close call when a Shadow Claw almost severed my head. I continued running as if nothing had happened.