Chapter 42: Ferocious Hatchling and Overgrown Gym Battle

The egg's radiance waxed to an unimaginable degree, nearly blinding us with its brilliance. The shine was majestic in an esoteric manner. The feeling was indescribable.

It was the feeling of a new life being born into this world.

I saw Trinity put her face directly in front of the egg.

Shit!

"Trinity, don't put yourself directly in front of it!" I shouted as I gently pushed her to the side, taking her place in front of the egg, making sure I was directly in front of it.

"Hey!" Trinity began to say, but the egg's glow intensified more, pausing her words.

Then the glow abated, and the egg stood still. A moment later, the top half broke free, and a tiny head peeked out.

 A moment later, the top half broke free, and a tiny head peeked out

It opened its eyes and looked at me. I sighed in relief that it did.

"Damn it, that was close," I muttered. Despite this, my excitement was palpable. "Hey, Togepi."

Togepi looked at me and exclaimed, "Togepi! Toge!"

I pick it up and hold it in my arms, smiling. I was not surprised.

Trinity seemed excited as well. "A Togepi?"

"Yeah, it's from my mom's Togekiss, I'm pretty sure."

Trinity frowned. "I thought you found it in the forest."

I winced. Damn it, she doesn't know about Beatrice.

Trinity studies me. "Don't want to talk about it?"

"Yeah..."

She smiled softly. "I'll wait for when you do, then."

I was glad that she wasn't being pushy. She understood that sometimes time was the greatest medicine. Trinity grew as a person, and I was proud of her for that.

"But why did you push me out of the way? On second thought, you don't seem surprised that it's a Togepi."

"Even if I didn't know it's a gift from my mom, I still would have been able to tell that it's a Togepi."

I continued. "And as for why I pushed you..."

I gently set the curious Togepi down, who looked at me with the affection of a newborn.

"Rotom, scan it."

Rotom wakes up and rolls its eyes. "Why can't you manually scan it? Stop interrupting my beauty sleep, asshole."

"Being a clown doesn't require beauty sleep. Now scan it or I'll force you to watch every live action Disney movie until you want to end it all."

Rotom seemed insulted. "You fucking wouldn't."

"Oh, I would, now scan it!"

Rotom glared at me, before surrendering and pointed its camera at Togepi, but not without muttering something about leaking my search history.