Chapter 22: Showdown at Mount Moon

"Absol, use Night Slash," Amina had ordered.

"Absol!" with a mighty howl, Absol began to gather darkness around it, enveloping its scythe-horn with tendrils of ebony. Faster than I could see, it slashed at... me? Wait, why was it targeting me?

I tried to sidestep, but I knew it would be impossible to avoid. I was about to be shredded by the edgiest pokemon I'd ever seen.

"Pikachu, Iron Tail!" Trinity snapped to action immediately.

"Pika!" Pikachu's tail adopted a metallic look, glimmering like a deadly sword. Jumping to my rescue, he parried the slash. Despite his quick reflexes, he couldn't completely block the blow, being flung backward, somehow remaining on his feet.

Meanwhile, the Night Slash was redirected, sinking into the wall right next to me, missing my head by a hair's breadth. Nervous sweat trickled down my neck as I processed the near-death experience. Despite almost dying, anger began to burn through my veins. This bitch tried to kill me!

"What the hell are you targeting me for? This is Pokemon Battle!" I exclaimed indignantly.

Amina scoffed. "It's because I hate pretty boys like you. People like you should just die," she said simply, her eyes betraying no emotions. This girl was a psychopath.

"No one has ever called me a pretty boy," I said, "and I sure as hell don't want someone to start now."

Amina ignored me, her eyes narrowing to Absol, who pulled the horn out of the wall and looked at her in response.

I took the time to scan Absol with my Rotom Phone.

"Absol, the Disaster Pokémon. Absol lives in steep mountainous regions, and rarely ventures down into areas inhabited by humans, but should an Absol be seen by humans, it is said that catastrophe is soon to follow."

What an ominous pokedex entry. How did Amina meet it? The pokedex informed me that it was actually male. You know, I should start focusing on the things that aren't the actual entry—the little details help. He was a Dark-type, so I could use Ralts who has Fairy-type moves. But Ralts is part Psychic, which is weak to Dark-types, so it's a high-risk-high-reward strategy. I would have to save her for later.

"Absol, X-Scissor."

"Sol," his horn began to glow with faint greenish energy, slashing at us with another fast strike. Like before, it was almost too quick for us to react.

"Eevee, Mimic!" I said, a plan forming in my mind.

"Pikachu, Iron Tail again!" Trinity ordered.

"Vee," Eevee absorbed a purple-white orb of energy from Absol, gaining his power.

"Chu," Pikachu swung its metallic tail at Absol once again, clashing a second time. Sparks flew as they collided, lighting up the dark cave like stars.

They continued to exchange blows, Iron Tail clashing with X-Scissor. Pikachu was swinging his sword horizontally, while Absol was swinging diagonally, forming X's in the air.

I joined the fray, shouting, "Eevee X-Scissor."

Pikachu had hooked his tail with Absol's horn, pushing it downward, trapping Absol in place.