Chapter 50: Growth

"Interesting," Professor Cerise marveled, his eyes sparkling with excitement as he inspected the Arceus Plate, using some of his equipment to scan it. "An actual Arceus Plate? And you two found it?"

I nodded seriously. "Kabutops and the others were guarding it."

"Fascinating!" he exclaimed. "The Arceus Plates have been in human hands once before, back when Arceus gave Damos the Jewel of Life. This is only one of them, but yet it still holds infinite power. I don't believe it was this strong back then."

I raised one eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"While, yes, the Jewel of Life was used to make Michina Town more prosperous, from what you told me, the Earth Plate alone was enough to create an entire underground civilization isolated from the outside world."

Trinity crossed her arms. "When you put it that way, I guess there are no limitations to these things."

"And you said it hurts you when you touch it?" Professor Cerise asked me.

"Yeah," I nodded. "I don't know why, but it rejects me."

"The power of God refuses most mortals, I'm afraid," he said wryly.

Eevee stared at the Earth Plate, as if transfixed by it.

"What's up, girl?" I wondered.

She didn't respond, tension in her body. Eevee reached out one of her paws and placed her hand on the Plate before I could stop her. The Plate began to glow with a muddy-colored light, as if reacting to her touch. She promptly let go of it, and the glow dissipated as quickly as it began.

We all gasped at the sight. How was Eevee able to harness the power of the Earth Plate? She didn't even have a Ground-type evolution.

"Well, that's a surprise," Professor Cerise said, both fascinated and nervous. "That was a confound if I've ever seen one."

"The hell was that?" Trinity asked with wide eyes.

"Eevee, how did you do that? You have no Ground-type moves, right?" I asked her, eyes narrowing.

Eevee looked as confused as we were. It was as if she was acting on instinct rather than conscious thought.

"Hmm," Cerise scratched his him. "Eevee is, by far, the most adaptive Pokemon ever. Researchers suspect that in the future they will be able to use all types due to evolution—according to the theory. We theorize that an Eevee can adapt enough to become powerful enough to rival Legendary and Mythical Pokemon. But no evidence has ever been provided. Perhaps there are some Eevee with that rare ability."

Trinity and I locked wide eyes for a moment. I looked at Eevee, who looked confused about the whole thing.

Could Eevee and Chloe's Eevee have that rare ability? Is that why they can learn moves based on their evolutions' type?

What if Eevee could adapt to any type? That would explain how she can use the power of the Earth Plate.

"Do Eevee have that much potential?" I wondered.

Professor Cerise fixed his glasses. "It's hard to say. When an Eevee evolves, it chooses a path. But it stays locked in that path forever. Therefore, they adapt to that type. I'm surprised there isn't an eeveelution for every type. But maybe they haven't been introduced yet."

"So more mysteries?" Trinity mused.

"More mysteries," I agreed sadly.

"But we got some answers," Cerise said optimistically. "You two discovered an underground city, found rare Pokemon, one of God's fragments, and discovered the existence of another set—I hope there is another set—of the Legendary Titans. You did plenty."