Chapter 40: Hail the Nightmare

Darkrai faced me with an almost foreign expression. Nothing but glistering voids were displayed in its eyes. The look was enough to send pangs of nervousness down me like dark lances.

But not even my nervousness was enough to drown out the fires of my rage that burned evermore.

At that moment the nightmares I endured were present in my mind once more, showing me the horrors that were burned into my consciousness, the waking dreams reminding me of my anger. It could not dispel my unending vehemence.

"So you're back," I growled. "After all this time."

Darkrai said nothing, merely staring at me with that same hollow look.

"Then let's do this, fucker," I said, pulling out my Poke Balls. I looked at Eevee. "Battle with me, girl."

"Vee," Eevee nodded grimly, hopping off my shoulder.

"Vali, do you really mean to fight Darkrai?" Granny Carolina said, glaring at Darkrai.

"What does it look like?" I scoffed. "I've been waiting for this moment for nearly eight years."

"But it's dangerous—"

"So what?" I interrupted her. "Danger always follows me, so I'll have to answer it in kind."

"Leave," I said to Granny. "I'll deal with this."

She grimaced. "Fine. But don't get overconfident."

"I never get overconfident," I assured.

Granny Carolina shook her head as if she couldn't believe what I was doing, then briefly walked out of the room.

It was time to Hail the Nightmare.

"Come out!" I threw out Kirlia, Hattrem, and Gengar.

The three looked at Darkrai with grim determination.

Darkrai merely waved its hand and shot a Dark Void.

"Hattrem, you know what to do."

Hattrem jumped in front of the Dark Void, deflecting the orb of inky darkness.

Darkrai grunted and launched a wave of darkness, easily slicing through the Dark Void. The Dark Pulse continued its path undeterred.

"Kirlia, Disarming Voice!"

Kirlia jumped in the way and sung, shooting out a wave of pinkish energy that was mixed with musical notes. The Disarming Voice collided with the Dark Pulse and exploded.

"Teleport and Disarming Voice again!"

Kirlia appeared in front of an unsuspecting Darkrai, blasting it point-blank with Disarming Voice. It didn't flinch at all as it shot a Dark Void, putting Kirlia to sleep. A mere moment later, Darkrai struck the sleeping Kirlia with a Shadow Ball, flinging her limp body away.

I winced. "Hattrem, Mystical Fire," I ordered, mentally apologizing to Granny.

"Trem!" Hattrem conjured spectral tongues of flames that streamed at Darkrai, who used Psychic to split it in two, rendering it ineffective.

"Eevee, Quick Attack!"

Eevee jumped over the Mystical Fire and Psychic, striking Darkrai in the chest, knocking it backward. The attack broke Darkrai's concentration and allowed the Mystical Fire to continue, hitting it directly.